Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i am in needing of having my car fully primed, is this a possible DIY, and how is it done?? OR, should i just leave this kinda thing to the people who know what it is they are doing??

any ideas, opinions, suggestions, please let me know ??

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The big thing is all the prep work before the car gets primer. Like filling all the low spots, sanding everything perfectly smooth, etc. YOu also have to sand ALL the old paint and primer off first.

I would personally let a professional with the proper tools do it. But if you are patient, and have the time and tools, go for it.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
a good buffer, with a fine grit sandpaper to take the finish all the way to bare metal. then use body filler and a rubber scraper to fill in the low spots. use a fine sandpaper to smooth the filler down to match the metal. dust off the car completely. then use a spray gun to shoot on a thin coat of primer.

B

·
0 Posts
There's actually a few ways of doing this, depending on what you're after. If the car's paint is not peeling, you don't need to strip it down to bare metal. You can wetsand the car, with 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper, clean thoroughly, and apply the primer. Many places like to use a primer-surfacer, which acts as a body filler for minor imperfections. Then the primer-surfacer is wetsanded, and the car is cleaned again. After that, it's a good idea to apply a sealing primer over the primer-surfacer.

A word of warning though, primer does not repel water, and many times will absorb moisture, leading to surface rust if the car's left in primer long enough.

To get a more definitive answer, you'll need to tell us what your goal is in priming the car, what you're looking for in terms of finished product quality, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts