Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I came across a 97 Taurus GL here in NC. The owner says it was his wife's grandma's car and it has only 75K miles.

Also said:
1.The transmission was replaced some point at a dealer (James Short Ford) in Royston, GA. He has he has the paper work.
2. Heat works but not the A/C'

his asking price is 1900. I am yet to look. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
if it's not rusty and the body and interior are in good shape then that it probably pretty fair

check the rocker panels and the underside of the strut towers for rust.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bought a 03 with 48k, needed nothing. Two months ago, Working air, new tires, a sunroof and a killer CD player. However I'm retired and spent about 2 weeks pounding the net, mostly craigslist until I found it.
With a non working A/C unit I think it's to much.
I paid $2600.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Kelly Blue Book has it listed at around 2,000 for private party sale value, Check it out really well, check for rust, leaks, check the fluids too. The a/c can get costly to repair depending on what is wrong with it, and who does the work.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
i would look for any faults, then offer 1500 cash. look for things like brown gunk in degass tank. any body imperfections, interior dirt or rips, dash pad separation, tires and brakes.

bob

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Old peoples cars are often poorly maintained, how old are we talking? Old people tend to be really light on the gas, which is also bad. Cars that were never opened up, especially when new, no not develop the tight ring to wall seal that prevents blow-by. This make so that the oil contaminates more readily, which contributes to chemical wear. If the car is left with old oil sitting in it for long periods of time, this is accelerated. This is why old peoples cars in general have low miles and tend to be less reliable per mile than used cars purchased from younger age groups.

Its kind a mixed thing because occasional hard runs are good for the engine, but not the transmission. Even so, hard runs on a new car aren't going to matter much for the trans. But if the rings don't seat when the car is new, they will never seat properly, and the problem shows up as oil consumption problems further down the road.

I have a 1994 Aerostar and while I wasn't the original owner, the original owner lived in a hilly area, and the car was apparantly revved hard during the test drive when it was bought. It was regularly blasted hard when it was new. The result is that even now, 233,000 miles later, it consumes less than 1/2 of one quart every 10,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Some old people change the oil/fluids often and do take awesome care of their cars, when I worked at a dealership I'd see the same people getting their oil changed every 3 months like clockwork, even if it had only been 500 miles and if you 'suggested' they change something, they had it changed right then.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i would look for any faults, then offer 1500 cash. look for things like brown gunk in degass tank. any body imperfections, interior dirt or rips, dash pad separation, tires and brakes.
bob

I looked at the car today. Here is what I observed.

1. The a/c (cooling) does not work because the "evaporator core" is bad. (Heat I am told works).

2. The transmission is a re-manufactured one changed by a ford dealer in a different state. (about 15 K miles ago). Paper work is in place. But I don't know if that's transferable to any ford dealer in my state.

3. The dash on top of the instrument cluster is coming apart.

4. Driving the car, it seemed OK. But the acceleration wasn't smooth enough for a car with just 78K miles. Some grunting sounds from the rear drum brake at times.

5. Not much signs of rust being a southern car, but black trim around all the door is faded due to heat.

6. Front rotors have some scouring. I didn't feel any vibrations when breaking.

7. Interior is ok but needs cleaning.

Asking price is $1900, the seller says negotiable.

Thoughts on the price? (and if it even worth.) I am yet to plan taking it to a mechanic for inspection.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Heck a new Ford trans is almost 2500 IIRC...

The AC fix won't be fun, as the dashboard will need to be removed (no trap door like there is for the heater core). Dash top is easily fixable (V8SHO has a great writeup). Sounds like it lacks ABS if it has drums...cheap to fix drum brakes usually. Car could need just a general tuneup...plugs are due, wires are old, maybe the coil pack has cracks.

If you can walk away for under $1500 I think you are doing OK. AC is almost a req down here, but it looks like the seller has kinda factored that into the price.

·
Registered
8 Posts
But if the rings don't seat when the car is new, they will never seat properly, and the problem shows up as oil consumption problems further down the road.

Its funny you mention this because I myself bought a 97 sable that only had 67.5K when I got it.

I just had to change the oil sending unit due to a leak, and im about to change the oil pan gasket, and i AM noticing oil consumption.

Is there a way to remedy this?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Its funny you mention this because I myself bought a 97 sable that only had 67.5K when I got it.

I just had to change the oil sending unit due to a leak, and im about to change the oil pan gasket, and i AM noticing oil consumption.

Is there a way to remedy this?
The oil sending unit on your car was leaking too? Dang so I guess this is becoming a slightly more common thing on older Duratecs as well...the oil pan gasket is the other common leak point.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts