Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't able to get the manual recommened Motorcraft anti-freeze when i did my coolant flush and i used Prestone Extended Life Yellow bottle, the "Any make any model green stuff".... I am just curious if you guys know if any issues with this stuff in the vulcan setup.

I am not sure how it compares to whats recommended in the manual.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Well, yes you can use it, and no, you cannot extend the coolant change interval, you still need to replace it every 2 year or 24,000 miles at most. Might as well get the green stuff.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was more concerned with compatibility not long life, i drain and flush every year and my system is still pretty cruddy. These systems are just not the best

·
Registered
91 Posts
I changed my coolant at 80 something with above mentioned. I have not had any issues, the car actually runs cooler now?? I do plan on and recommend shorter drain intervals after the initial drain.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I've been using this recipe Prestone for the past 5 years, on the 94 Taurus 3.8L & 99 Ranger 4.0L, so far without problems.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
The yellow is fine. I just wouldnt use the orange gm dex-cool crap. If in doubt, every bottle label should address compatibility concerns.

·
Premium Member
7,307 Posts
IIRC, the 99 model year vulcans had a problem with brown gunk build up in the radiator.
Something to do with improper grounding??:)

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
IIRC, the 99 model year vulcans had a problem with brown gunk build up in the radiator.
Something to do with improper grounding??:)
Poor/corroded grounding of the block. Leads to electrolysis produced current flow in the coolant causing accelerated internal rusting = brown gunk. Also eats away at the water pump impeller fins...
(Also crappy water used to dilute coolant installed at the factory, AKA the "Georgia water" problem...)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you use tap water, you will have problems with gunk. The minerals in the water react with the metals, and neutralize the corrosion inhibitors in the coolant.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even all the time i have been using Distilled water and flushing i am having gunk issues. I will just flush it again next year like i do and hope that helps, i am also doing a custom coolant filter project soon to clean some of the gunk out of the system.

Will probably be replacing the heatercore in the spring.

Heres my coolant filter setup not drawn to scale obviously

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The cooling system needs no filter, If you have that much accumulated gunk, you need to remove the parts, drain all that old stuff out, not just the radiator drain, but actually pull the hoses off. Then use pressurized water to flush the motor out. Flush the radiator as best you can, the heater core too. Refill with the proper antifreeze to water ratio, then drain and refill after a few days. That should eliminate any gunk that has accumulated. Drain the reservoir too. To eliminate grounding as a problem, check the engine grounds and resecure or replace them as needed.

The yellow stuff is compatible, but the green stuff is still better in my opinion. I always buy the premixed stuff, that way I don't have to worry about the quality of the water. If you are having problems with corrosion, you might want to replace more than once per year.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to clarify i am using the Yellow Bottle of Prestone which is actually Green Colored coolant.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
The yellow is fine. I just wouldnt use the orange gm dex-cool crap. If in doubt, every bottle label should address compatibility concerns.
Compatibility concerns - that's why I choose to use motorcraft parts in 99% of the time, because motorcraft parts work well with other motorcraft parts. With the additional benefit of having a quality part to begin with.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I prefer Motorcraft on most parts but with something like coolant and flushing the system every year its just easier and cheaper to grab the Prestone and its only a year i know its chemically going to last that long i just worry about compatibility because its not oem. I have just never heard of so many issues with the cooling system like the plugging heater cores, or the rust everywhere since i starting working on my Taurus.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts