Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2013 SEL
439 Posts
BRN... lol :lol2: You must have an engineering degree or be a technical wizard, because I got lost just looking through "HOW TO..." I'd never get it back together again even if I was able to get it off... I'll most likely end up paying someone to install nicer speakers in the doors. I looked up the Infinity speakers you referenced...They look really nice. Someone else suggested Kenwoods? I'll have to go in and give them the sound test to see which ones suit my ears. I assume 5x7 or 6x8 will fit into those openings, right?
I guess it's all relative. I see what these other guys do and there's no way I'd attempt it either.

The door panel removal guide I linked is a little intimidating. That's why I loaded it onto a tablet and looked at it step by step as I did the first door. Turned out to not be as bad as it appears. Once you've done one door, the others are pretty easy.

Yes, 5x7 or 6x8 will fit. You could also take a look at the JBL GTO8629 5"x7"/6"x8". It's made by the same people that make Infinity.

As tgrfly mentioned, you could also look at 6.5" with an adapter. That opens up a whole world of possibilities.

·
Registered
835 Posts
TKS trust me I did them without any major problems. Some helpful hints though and more Attention to Detail items but not overly difficult.

Doors are intimidating at first but like others stated. When you get the first one the others are easy. The panels also come off with fairly common hand tools the only unusual tool is a door trim/removal tool Basically a long screwdriver with little teeth to catch the trim clips on the inside of the door. Around $10 at your local retailer if you need a photo let me know. If you can follow detailed directions, have minor to moderate hand tool knowledge and dexterity in your hands you should be fine. Experience or knowledge of electrical soldering and heat shrink will help if not then find someone.

Rears they sell wiring pigtail adapters on Amazon or as mentioned from Crutchfield.

Your discretion on speakers but for reference my Kenwood's in 2013 were around $100 for all four. Fast forward to late 2014 and the 6X9 rear decks were around $40. The odd man out was the Kicker center instrument panels. Around $40 but remember you only need one. You can keep other as a spare. pass on to another faithful owner like I did....Franchise back me up on this one.

Doors should not much more than a couple of hours with the presumption of the following.

1. Knowledge, skills, and dexterity with hands, and tools....yes Google, forums and YouTube count as knowledge.

2. Equipment on scene, sockets, ratchets, door panel removal tool, soldering kit, electrical tape, connectors, wire splicers etc...

I will self disclose, my manual dexterity is not what it used to be. I have it in the brain, and eyes, just breakdown between the hands and brain. I can splice and connectors but I usually wound up splicing in extra wire first thing to make sure that I don't cut myself short when the final connection is made.

Door speakers are not that difficult, looks intimidating but you should be fine. The only modification is the center speakers and that is just a minor trim of the plastic for installation. Totally invisible when speaker grille covers the speaker. That is a plug and play in that the OEM wiring harness can be used a simple POS/NEG connection.

If you want photos let me know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
can I replace the 6x9 subs in the back with 3-way 6x9’s?
Yes sir you can, If the hole will accept it then yes. on my '13 the speakers are the same size as the door so I think mine are 5x7 but if you have actual 6x9 factory ones then yes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My reviving of this old thread entails the question, Who has a line on replacement factory tweeters for the A-pillars?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say its the 7 speaker system. My Limited as the 12 speaker system. Damn speakers are everywhere.
Should have seen the one in my ex-mother-in-law's Lincoln MkS. THX sound and all. Starting it was cool, with that THX theme sound as it came on. Gave you chills every time! 14 speakers, no less.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts