Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a copy of my Build Sheet for my 2011 Taurus SEL and on it there is a line item that says:

IDAAB PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM

My question is, how many speakers are there in this particular sound system and where are all of those speakers located?

Thanks,

tks

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say its the 7 speaker system. My Limited as the 12 speaker system. Damn speakers are everywhere.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say its the 7 speaker system. My Limited as the 12 speaker system. Damn speakers are everywhere.
I can see where 6 speakers are #2 front pillars; #2 front doors, #2 back doors...Where would the 7th one be located? 12 speakers probably sounds a lot better than 6 or 7!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Center of the dash
No speaker in the front dash. So I probably have the bottom of the line, so-called "premium sound system. SO misleading!

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Do you have a larger-ish screen in your dash, or just a small digital panel for audio info?

I guess what I'm saying is do you have this:

or this?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Premium sound should be 4 door, 2 A pillar tweeters and 1 Center Instrument panel. Until 2013 SEL could have the SONY system with 6 disc CD changer. 2013 SONY went to Limited and SHO only and the CD went to single CD ALL MODELS. Another entertainment change was the dual USB ports.

The small digital audio display is not a matter of premium or SONY sound. The upper photo is for NON NAV models.

TKS a couple of questions.....1. Do you have the RS 201A Package or 202A The difference is the 19" wheels Ambient Lighting, Back up Camera (Display in rear view mirrors for NON NAVIGATION models.)

The bottom photo is 2013 and up with My Ford Touch. There is My Ford and My Ford Touch MFT has phone, Navigation entertainment, and climate. If you have a camera then the whole screen will display camera.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have a larger-ish screen in your dash, or just a small digital panel for audio info?

I guess what I'm saying is do you have this:

or this?

I have the first with the small digital panel....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Premium sound should be 4 door, 2 A pillar tweeters and 1 Center Instrument panel. Until 2013 SEL could have the SONY system with 6 disc CD changer. 2013 SONY went to Limited and SHO only and the CD went to single CD ALL MODELS. Another entertainment change was the dual USB ports.

The small digital audio display is not a matter of premium or SONY sound. The upper photo is for NON NAV models.

TKS a couple of questions.....1. Do you have the RS 201A Package or 202A The difference is the 19" wheels Ambient Lighting, Back up Camera (Display in rear view mirrors for NON NAVIGATION models.)

The bottom photo is 2013 and up with My Ford Touch. There is My Ford and My Ford Touch MFT has phone, Navigation entertainment, and climate. If you have a camera then the whole screen will display camera.
My car came stock with 18" wheels and no ambient lighting and I don't have a screen, I just have a small digital display strip as shown in the first pic above...

·
Registered
835 Posts
if no ambient lighting then you are probably RS 201A. I am sure if you had a camera you would know it by now. Check your center dash for the speaker grille and that would make seven speakers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if no ambient lighting then you are probably RS 201A. I am sure if you had a camera you would know it by now. Check your center dash for the speaker grille and that would make seven speakers.
I've checked for the center dash speaker grille and there is not one. I must assume that Premium Sound System for 2011 Taurus SEL has only 6 speakers... Which is fine.. My stereo system has a pretty nice sound to it, I just wished it had a mid-range adjustment.B)

·
Registered
835 Posts
That's possible. The stereo itself is decent in my opinion but my guess is you will probably get the speaker replacement bug at least the doors. A common bug around this time of the year when it gets warmer.

Kenwood KFC-6895PS......just saying.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would definitely suggest changing the speakers all the way around. You would be amazed by the change it would make.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's possible. The stereo itself is decent in my opinion but my guess is you will probably get the speaker replacement bug at least the doors. A common bug around this time of the year when it gets warmer.

Kenwood KFC-6895PS......just saying.
LOL... I would love to swap out the door speakers if I knew how. Would the new speakers just be plug and play?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
LOL... I would love to swap out the door speakers if I knew how. Would the new speakers just be plug and play?
They can be. New speakers won't have the same plug that the Ford speakers have, but you can buy the matching plugs online and splice them in so they can become "plug and play." Replacing door speakers isn't too difficult!

·
Registered
2013 SEL
441 Posts
Assuming you get speakers that fit and the appropriate connector, then yes. I picked up four of these:
Infinity Reference X REF-8602cfx 5"x7"/6"x8"
from Crutchfield (they include the connector, but you can also buy it elsewhere). I was lucky enough to stumble across a buy one, get one half price sale.

As far as the work involved, I found this guide:
Ford Taurus Interior Door Panels Removal Guide
To be extremely helpful. I really took my time on the first door to make sure I got it right. The other three just flew by.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Assuming you get speakers that fit and the appropriate connector, then yes. I picked up four of these:
Infinity Reference X REF-8602cfx 5"x7"/6"x8"
from Crutchfield (they include the connector, but you can also buy it elsewhere). I was lucky enough to stumble across a buy one, get one half price sale.

As far as the work involved, I found this guide:
Ford Taurus Interior Door Panels Removal Guide
To be extremely helpful. I really took my time on the first door to make sure I got it right. The other three just flew by.
BRN... lol :lol2: You must have an engineering degree or be a technical wizard, because I got lost just looking through "HOW TO..." I'd never get it back together again even if I was able to get it off... I'll most likely end up paying someone to install nicer speakers in the doors. I looked up the Infinity speakers you referenced...They look really nice. Someone else suggested Kenwoods? I'll have to go in and give them the sound test to see which ones suit my ears. I assume 5x7 or 6x8 will fit into those openings, right?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts