Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 3 weeks in the shop my car is finally done. If you didnt get the Premium Care Warranty you may want to read on as to why I am so glad I had it. It paid for itself 4X over. With over 5K in repairs done and its my wifes car who just does everyday driving. Here is a list of parts and repairs done.
EVERY front end component from sway bars to ball joints and axle shafts.
A new head where 8 of 12 lifters were bad.
Timing chains bad.
Intake and Exhaust cams bad.
A million different gaskets etc.

I definitely would not have wanted to pay this bill for sure and the car only has 56K miles and never beaten on. If your buying a new car spring the little extra cash and get one at least for a piece of mind.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Aug 17 2004, 10:05 AM
Damn man. How did your wife manage to break all of that?!? :p
You got me man???? She doesnt beat it like I beat my cars either LOL. I think I must have the WORST luck of anyone. I bought a brand new Contour SVT 98.5 model year and it was a LEMON. My last two new Ford purchases have not been pleasent to say the least. That is why I think my next new car purchase will be either an 04 Maxima 6 speed, Acura TL or Infiniti G35. I called the Ford customer service number and got the Sorry to hear that line and nothing else. Poor customer service especally when between me and my father we have bought 6 new fords in about 8 years.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went in and told them the wheel bearing was definitely bad and I thought the lifters were ticking bad. Here is the parts list right off of my invoice. It ended up being 8 of 12 lifters were bad it had low oil pressure. They found cam journa worn also replaced intake and exhaust cams.

1 HB & BRG ASY- FRT BRK
1 LNK ASY-FRT STAB BAR LH
2 NUT- M12X1 .75 HEX FLG LOCK
1 JT ASY-FRT SUSP LWR ARM BALL

1 HEAD ASY- CYL W/COMP RH
1 CYL HEAD RH
1 VALVE ROCKER ARM COVER
8 HEX FALANGE CYLINDER HEAD
6 SEAL-UPPER INTAKE ISOLATED
6 GSK- INTAKE TO CYL HEAD
1 GSK- EXHAUST MANIFOLD
1 GSK- FRONT COVER LH
1 FILTER ASSY- OIL
5 QTS OF 5W30
4 GALS OF ANTI FREEZ
1 GASKET FRONT COVER RT HAND
1 GASKET FRONT COVER CENTER
1 GASKET FRONT COVER LEFT
1 GASKET VALVE ROCKER ARM COVER
6 VLV CVR SP/PKG HLE
12 ADJUSTER ASSY- VALVE LASH
1 TIMING CHAIN LH
1 BA BELT - FAN
CYLINDER HEAD REPLACE 6051
COMPRESSION CHECK l
OIL FILTER ELEM
5 MORE QTS OF 5W 30
CAMSHAFTS FOR INTAKE AND EX LH

G

·
They didn't replace the motor? From what I was told with the esp that if it gets past an xxx ammount of $ then they are supposed to drop in a rebuilt long block. Thats what ford did on my duratec after they took 7 months to diagnose it. Did they check for any block damage due to lack of oil? Also, I dont know if this applies, but the motorcraft rebuilt engines come with 3/36 warranty, I dont know if that will come with your repairs...unless your esp has more than 3/36 left. I also got the same crap with ford's customer service. That's why I'm never going to buy a ford again. I have a 01 maxima and it is absolutely awesome. The nissan dealer I went to replaced 2 o2's and did an ecu update free of charge when my car was out of warranty. Very ironic that I had more trouble with ford to cover something under my $1500 warranty rather than with nissan covering something under no warranty.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the exact same thing. I think they did it step by step as you see I had 10 quarts of 5w 30 oil used. I believe they fixed the lifters and then found the cams were bad. I thought they were experts and would have checked the cams when they were in there the first time. Like I said I never would have expected me a die hard Ford guy to even be thinking of an import. My dad was a US Steelworker and I was brought up hating imports. I just think Ford must have some real quality control issues. I have had a few Mustangs and they were the best cars I have ever owned. Everyone I had went easily over 100K trouble free except basic mantenance like brakes etc. I also noticed Plastic sway bar end links on my 00. Thats has to be the worst quality I have ever seen in my life. I asked about the spring recall and they stated they could not do it yet and it would probably be around December. So I said if my front spring goes and we die in the car its OK. They didnt like that comment but after what I have been through with Ford lately I really didnt care one bit. Is it just bad luck with the last 2 vehicles??? or is there a bigger problem??? I would say there is definitely quality issues with them lately. I actually was out looking at new cars and we looked at an 04 SEL which stickered at 26 and some change. We then went to the Nissan dealer and looked at the Maxima that listed for 28 and there was no comparison. The Maxima was leaps and bounds above the Bull in every aspect from power to features etc. Bull 200 HP with auto tranny, Maxima 265 HP with 6 speed and very close to the price. I am now leary having HALF of a new engine and half of a 58K engine. I will for sure be getting rid of my car ASAP and be Bulless.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Actually I know a guy who just bought a G35 and the battery has already failed. They all have their problems now. Cheap ass parts companies. Check my sig. for the mileage on my two Fords. Also note that neither one has had ANY engine or transmission work at all, and I drive them quite hard.

G

·
Sorry to hear about all that, man. I think you are just having bad luck with lemons, honestly. Nobody else I have ever known has had that much trouble with their Taurus. :( I would recommend you look at the new Ford 500 if you want a new sedan. Ford is taking this car very seriously. I got to drive one at the Ford Innovation drive last weekend and I must say it is one of the nicest cars I've been in (aside from Lincoln, Cadillac and premium brands). B) Awesome interior, it handled amazing through the slalom and the four wheel disc brakes with dual piston front calipers are sweet! :D Or, if you want something sportier, check out the Mazda Mazda6. :)

I think the dealership you guys go to must not be very good. I just took my car in (I get it back today) and I got excellent service with my premium care warranty. I got my from sway bar endlinks replaced and a rear strut, with no questions asked. They were very nice and responded perfectly. I think the dealership is what can make or break somebody's impression of Ford, unfortunately. <_<

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
You got me man???? She doesnt beat it like I beat my cars either LOL. I think I must have the WORST luck of anyone. I bought a brand new Contour SVT 98.5 model year and it was a LEMON. My last two new Ford purchases have not been pleasent to say the least.
Dude, that sucks. It sounds like you've had several lemons.

That is why I think my next new car purchase will be either an 04 Maxima 6 speed, Acura TL or Infiniti G35.
Those are excellent choices IMO. I would go with the G35, that is one hell of a driver's car.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Majisto@Aug 17 2004, 03:18 PM
Actually I know a guy who just bought a G35 and the battery has already failed. They all have their problems now. Cheap ass parts companies. Check my sig. for the mileage on my two Fords. Also note that neither one has had ANY engine or transmission work at all, and I drive them quite hard.
Battery or MAJOR reapir you make the call I will take the battery any day. I dont think it has anything to do with parts. I stated I have had 3 other brand new Fords that were REAL good to me. I just cant see buying 2 NEW cars in a row and having MAJOR problems with them. This isnt a battery, or a seat that didnt work. Its major engine repair with my 00 SEL and major electrical problems. My Contour SVT had an electrical fire because the guy who put in the wiring harness at the factory screwed up. He mounted it between the seat base. I have a list of other nice things that went wrong with my good old Contour.

G

·
Originally posted by twoblacktaurus@Aug 17 2004, 08:30 AM
That is why I think my next new car purchase will be either an 04 Maxima 6 speed, Acura TL or Infiniti G35.
All three are fine vehicles. These would be the three I would be looking at if I had the money, but I am happy with my current car. The g35 is definitly a driver's car, which is the one I would most likely pick. I've been inside a new tl and it is very nice, not bad for 32k at all (it gets a bit pricier when you add navi). One thing that turns me off about them is that they have timing belts. The maxima is definitly a great car, but I would only consider it if my budget was already being stretched by the other two cars. I've been in a maxima and it is definitly a nice car. It has several cool features like the computer and that the seat moves back when you turn the car off.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by twoblacktaurus+Aug 17 2004, 11:30 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (twoblacktaurus @ Aug 17 2004, 11:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-XLSuruaT@Aug 17 2004, 10:05 AM
Damn man.  How did your wife manage to break all of that?!? :p
You got me man???? She doesnt beat it like I beat my cars either LOL. I think I must have the WORST luck of anyone. I bought a brand new Contour SVT 98.5 model year and it was a LEMON. My last two new Ford purchases have not been pleasent to say the least. That is why I think my next new car purchase will be either an 04 Maxima 6 speed, Acura TL or Infiniti G35. I called the Ford customer service number and got the Sorry to hear that line and nothing else. Poor customer service especally when between me and my father we have bought 6 new fords in about 8 years. [/b][/quote]
Get the G35X.

All wheel drive. A friends mom just got one, and I got to sit in it and check it out. its a sweet ride.

-Damon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts