Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been wanting to get my windows tinted for the longest time now, but the quoted price of almost $400 kinda makes it impossible for now. But I found the precut tint kits on ebay. Anybody have experience with these? Im not looking for a super long lasting tint, just to last a year or whatever. I have a friend who could help install it, so thats not an issue. I mean, for $25 bucks...whats to lose? Is there any danger in it?

Ford Taurus 00-06 PreCut Window Tint Kit -Any Shade | eBay

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the feedback looks great. I have a friend who could help me, and he did his Ford Ranger himself with no problems. Its not like it could hurt anything, right? If it doesnt work, just peel it off...

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
$400? Thats crazy. Had all my windows done professionally for $130

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Yeah, the feedback looks great. I have a friend who could help me, and he did his Ford Ranger himself with no problems. Its not like it could hurt anything, right? If it doesnt work, just peel it off...
You could damage the rear defogger system.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Why would you want to have tint installed temporarily?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you want to have tint installed temporarily?
Well I would have installed the $25 precut tint until I had the money for the professional job. Also just to see how it looks and decide on how dark it should be done for the final pro job. I really want the Formula1 Pinnacle tint, but it was $400 to do, and the nearest shop is 300 miles away. :mellow:

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Well I would have installed the $25 precut tint until I had the money for the professional job. Also just to see how it looks and decide on how dark it should be done for the final pro job. I really want the Formula1 Pinnacle tint, but it was $400 to do, and the nearest shop is 300 miles away. :mellow:
Standard tint professionally done works great too. If you take care of it and use the right products it will be fine and youll save a bunch of money.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Standard tint professionally done works great too. If you take care of it and use the right products it will be fine and youll save a bunch of money.
Im worried about the purple fading. Ugh, cant stand it. Im in Maine, but I may move to FL in the next couple years, and the tint has to be good.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Im worried about the purple fading. Ugh, cant stand it. Im in Maine, but I may move to FL in the next couple years, and the tint has to be good.
Iirc, most of the discoloration with tint is from using products with ammonia and other things they tell you not to use.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Iirc, most of the discoloration with tint is from using products with ammonia and other things they tell you not to use.
Not true. It's because of a low quality film that tints the glue instead of the actual plastic. Tinting the glue WILL fade and turn colors you dont want. I have to finish the tint on the wagon. All those windows let in too much light.

·
I Drive A Fuze
3,053 Posts
Not true. It's because of a low quality film that tints the glue instead of the actual plastic. Tinting the glue WILL fade and turn colors you dont want. I have to finish the tint on the wagon. All those windows let in too much light.
I stand corrected. Read it somewhere, but don't remember where. :unsure:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Tinting a taurus is a real pain the A** i tried doing my 00 on my own before i paid for it too.. spent a whole day of trying for nothing, back window NEEDS to be shrunk to fit, ot it wont work, on the windows all the sides need to be taped, you deff need special tools..

long story short, i took everything off, made some phone calls, nd got my car nd my friends accord tinted for $250 with 5 yr warranty.. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
sammy0390
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing