Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 2002 mercury sables transmisson fluid flushed at Precision tune. They used Dextron (dont know what #) with a chrysler friction modifier that the tec said made it into dex 5 which is the same as mercon v. Do i have a problem?

·
Super Moderator
8,734 Posts
I wouldnt trust their claims. I have no idea if what they did makes it the same as or close to Merc V or not. Personally, I would have DEMANDED they use Merc V and not some witches brew of additives in gereric fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
You absolutely have a problem. They are not fluid engineers and have no business tampering with the formula. Tell them to replace the fluid with the proper MerconV fluid at their expense. Dex5 is not the same as MerconV. Tell them either that or they give you a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Okay, first, I would not let that chain touch my car with a 10 foot pole. Second, I believe Chrysler atf has a different viscosity than what Ford mandates in Mercon V atf. You need to get your transmission flushed out again, with actual Mercon V atf, or your going to have problems (or even a complete failure) soon. Avoid driving the car until this is done. There is no additive that can "make" atf into Mercon V, no matter what they "claim".

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The answer has been stated, get that fluid out of there ASAP!

I stopped a a PT once, about 15 years ago because my first car was misfiring. They wanted to charge me some exorbitant amount for a "tune up" with new plugs and a coil...I left and figured out how to do it myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
precision tune transmisson flush

I talked to a transmission shop and they told me this is a common procedure and i dont have a problem. He said i actually have a better additive package than whats in mercon v

·
Registered
128 Posts
You are using the wrong ATF for your car. It is not what ford recommends and it is in no way better. Again, it is the wrong fluid. I would change it ASAP. The only fluid you can use other than mercon v is a fully synt for all brands like amsoil or mobil. Dexron is bad for your car. Have you ever had a trans fail? It is not cheap.

·
Registered
23,582 Posts
Dunno. Lubegard makes the same claims. Dump a 6-8oz. green bottle into the tranny youve just filled with mercon/dexron lll, but which calls for mercon v, and presto chango, through the magic of chemistry, the mercon has been transformed into mercon v. They say its convenient, cheaper and tranny shops dont have to have so many different fluid types in inventory. Again, dunno? I aint that smart!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Dextron 6, Mercon V and ATF +4 are NOT the SAME!!

The fluid has to be manufactured to meet the specs, oil additives will not change the base molecules.

The old Dextron 2 and Mercon specs allowed ATF to be able to work for both. The new requirements have separated Dex6 and MerV into 2 different types of ATF.

It is not that hard for shops to stock a drum of MerconV, Dextron 6 and ATF +4 and cases of the other fluid. The shop computer should even tell them what fluid to use.

·
Registered
285 Posts
This is proof of why you NEVER use these stupid quick oil change shops. The so-called "technicians" are idiots who have been trained to lie and sound like they know what they are doing. I see way too many screw ups from these places as a dealer technician.

As others have said get that multipurpose fluid out ASAP! I have seen transmission failure due to wrong fluids plenty of times.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I talked to a transmission shop and they told me this is a common procedure and i dont have a problem. He said i actually have a better additive package than whats in mercon v
I would look up that chains location on your local BBB site, I'm sure it may change your mind on the truth about what's in your transmission right now. I would also call a local transmission shop and ask them to chime in about what's in your trans right now.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
As far as I know, Mercon V, Dexron VI, and ATF+4 are performance specs, not chemical compositions. Each company has different specs for anti-foaming, oxidation resistance, etc., which come from additives. What they did makes sense to me. I wouldn't panic. But I would ask them to provide a document that explains Additive XX turns the base oil to Mercon V.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
as dodge ppl know the wrong fluid in your 89 to 93 auto 4 speed trans will cause failure. dodge even changed the fluid after releasing the 4 speed because it wouldnt lube the trans properly this is when if i remember right the +3 was developed then modifed to the +4. its been yrs since i dealt with those tranny's so if im wrong be gentle. but i know the fluid they used in the 3 speed was causing problems in the 4 speeds. that and they jammed a 4th gear into the 3 speed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Austex04 : I checked the bbb they have a A+ rating also i did contact a independent transmission shop that told me not to worry. They told me this is common and tests have shown no noticable difference between the dexron 3 with additive and merconv

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
For a company to sell their ATF XX as Mercon V, they have to meet the performance requirements of Mercon V and buy a license from Ford. I wonder if Precision Tune is skipping the licensing stage but still meets the performance requirements. If you pursue this matter further and get their test report, I would like to get a copy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Austex04 : I checked the bbb they have a A+ rating also i did contact a independent transmission shop that told me not to worry. They told me this is common and tests have shown no noticable difference between the dexron 3 with additive and merconv
as long as you're comfortable that's all that matters. Just keep in mind that the people giving you advice here do not work for Mercon V or any other place that would have specific interests in seeing your trans fail.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
You know, I found a long time ago that the BBB is not as reliable as it might seem. You see, the problem is where the money comes from. The BBB is funded by its members, which are the same businesses it represents. The BBB can keep a list of non-members which can have negative information, but members can "settle disputes", which causes the BBB to no longer report the incident. This means the business can have lots of unsatisfied customers who either don't file disputes, or who had those disputes settled after filing a claim with the BBB.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.