Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get one of those self powered bass tubes, either by bazooka or someone else.

I just need something real cheap. Any suggestions?

-Damon
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
I hear bazookas are OK... and are only for specific applications... If you just need some additional bass...i would assume one bass tube would be fine..but if you ever find yourself always wanting more, i'd suggest going w/ a comp subwoofer setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
i gotta agree. bass tubes are not good, they are like pre-fab boxes, only worse. with the bass tubes they match a bad woofer with an even worse box, and the results are... extra not good.

you want cheap bass that will blast a bass tube, get a tang band 8"(PM me and i can give you a link), a small-med box for an 8", and a small amp. cheaper, tighter, louder, better... end of story

P.S.--especially stay away from the gay NOS bass tubes
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by hoss@Feb 7 2004, 12:51 AM
i gotta agree. bass tubes are not good, they are like pre-fab boxes, only worse. with the bass tubes they match a bad woofer with an even worse box, and the results are... extra not good.

you want cheap bass that will blast a bass tube, get a tang band 8"(PM me and i can give you a link), a small-med box for an 8", and a small amp. cheaper, tighter, louder, better... end of story

P.S.--especially stay away from the gay NOS bass tubes
Well that's a great thought and all, but let's just crazily assume that a bass tubes enclosure is specificaly engineered for that specific driver... to be ultra effecient....and well they can sound better than most other setups on a price to performance ratio... but thats just MY OPINION..nothing special


anyways thats not what i was trying to argue, im just saying there are specific purposes that bass tubes are great applications for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Infinity basslink...... I've heard them. They don't pound "n00b a**" but they add the extra bass you're looking for. Don't expect it to blow your trunk open or anything.

Get it off ebay, they're an a** load cheaper
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
Originally posted by afi292+Feb 7 2004, 01:54 AM-->QUOTE (afi292 @ Feb 7 2004, 01:54 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-hoss
@Feb 7 2004, 12:51 AM
i gotta agree.  bass tubes are not good, they are like pre-fab boxes, only worse.  with the bass tubes they match a bad woofer with an even worse box, and the results are...  extra not good.

you want cheap bass that will blast a bass tube, get a tang band 8"(PM me and i can give you a link), a small-med box for an 8", and a small amp.  cheaper, tighter, louder, better...  end of story

P.S.--especially stay away from the gay NOS bass tubes
Well that's a great thought and all, but let's just crazily assume that a bass tubes enclosure is specificaly engineered for that specific driver... to be ultra effecient....and well they can sound better than most other setups on a price to performance ratio... but thats just MY OPINION..nothing special


anyways thats not what i was trying to argue, im just saying there are specific purposes that bass tubes are great applications for. [/b]
bass tubes enclosures might be specifically engineered for the driver, but i doubt it. how many have you taken apart and done T/S on the woofers?? cause all that i have done have been pretty bad. and the ported boxes they put them in are a joke.

you wanna talk caps... look at the other threads and read up on some facts.

oh yeah... listen to damon too, he is always right. no joke, i read it in a magazine once
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
Originally posted by afi292@Feb 7 2004, 02:03 AM
Dude a speaker isnt going to hit lows as well as a subwoofer will..even if they are amplified... so wtf is up now ... N00b
the right one in the right enclosure will...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by hoss+Feb 7 2004, 01:02 AM-->QUOTE (hoss @ Feb 7 2004, 01:02 AM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 7 2004, 01:54 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-hoss
@Feb 7 2004, 12:51 AM
i gotta agree.  bass tubes are not good, they are like pre-fab boxes, only worse.  with the bass tubes they match a bad woofer with an even worse box, and the results are...  extra not good.

you want cheap bass that will blast a bass tube, get a tang band 8"(PM me and i can give you a link), a small-med box for an 8", and a small amp.  cheaper, tighter, louder, better...  end of story

P.S.--especially stay away from the gay NOS bass tubes

Well that's a great thought and all, but let's just crazily assume that a bass tubes enclosure is specificaly engineered for that specific driver... to be ultra effecient....and well they can sound better than most other setups on a price to performance ratio... but thats just MY OPINION..nothing special


anyways thats not what i was trying to argue, im just saying there are specific purposes that bass tubes are great applications for.
bass tubes enclosures might be specifically engineered for the driver, but i doubt it. how many have you taken apart and done T/S on the woofers?? cause all that i have done have been pretty bad. and the ported boxes they put them in are a joke.

you wanna talk caps... look at the other threads and read up on some facts.

oh yeah... listen to damon too, he is always right. no joke, i read it in a magazine once
[/b]
Hey man, i'm just saying the bazooka bass tubes have been designed by engineers... and are designed to be A) cost effective, and
efficient... no ifs ands or buts... its how they were designed...

And why are we areguing about caps in here? they can help the lights from dimming, thats all im claiming

im not saying it will solve all problems

geez give a non noob a lil room to breath int his room
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
274 Posts
I like my 8" bazooka tube. I have had 12's, 10's, 8's. All have been better than the tube but I enjoy the tube very much. It is clean, fits in a small area, and looks good, and rounds out the sound. I have an single 8" in a box and an amp that I may be using. I may sell the Self powered tube but I am not sure yet. Let me know if you are interested Damon. It may help me make up my mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
My dad uses an old bass tube (not made by bazooka) its basically a tube with grey carpet, a 10" woofer and a 100 watt amp. It doesn't sound bad at all, of course you arent going to get really deep bass out of it but its not what he wants it for. Anywho, he has it in his van so it doesn't have to go thru a trunk or anything. In this application I think it's very sufficent, in the trunk of a taurus.. well, I don't know how well that'll work out. One of my best friends has a bazooka bass tube in the back of his jeep and it sounds pretty decent. Sure you don't get the low bass and thumping, and you can't hear it outside of the truck at all. It is meant for those who just want a little bass without adding a complete subwoofer setup. Now lets play nicely guys!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,359 Posts
Damon, if you are running a 450W amp and add a cheap bass tube running around ~150W RMS, your sub is not going to be able to keep up with the speakers. I run a 200W 4 channel amp and it'd hardly be adequate for that.

Check out a Pioneer TS-305 subwoofer (10" will take 350w RMS) and get a cheap Profile amp to push it. Those two can probably be had for around the same price as a bass tube and will sound much, much better and louder. or take Hoss' advice and go with 1 or 2 Tang-Band 8's. They are like $30 each.

Bass tubes suck. The enclosure is tuned way, way too high (sometimes over 70 hz!) and has lousy low frequency extension.

FYI afi292 and I are friends. And no, he's not a n00b, he's built a few systems. We just get into it all the time about bass tubes and caps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
746 Posts
QUOTE
FYI afi292 and I are friends. And no, he's not a n00b, he's built a few systems. We just get into it all the time about bass tubes and caps.[/b]
and i was in on it with alex... we knew what was going on, just having fun


edit--werd on the tangband's, they wang
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Feb 7 2004, 05:30 PM
Damon, if you are running a 450W amp and add a cheap bass tube running around ~150W RMS, your sub is not going to be able to keep up with the speakers. I run a 200W 4 channel amp and it'd hardly be adequate for that.

Check out a Pioneer TS-305 subwoofer (10" will take 350w RMS) and get a cheap Profile amp to push it. Those two can probably be had for around the same price as a bass tube and will sound much, much better and louder. or take Hoss' advice and go with 1 or 2 Tang-Band 8's. They are like $30 each.

Bass tubes suck. The enclosure is tuned way, way too high (sometimes over 70 hz!) and has lousy low frequency extension.

FYI afi292 and I are friends. And no, he's not a n00b, he's built a few systems. We just get into it all the time about bass tubes and caps.
Keekles it was fun while it lasted


...


Sorry Zack, didn't mean to ruffle any feathers
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top