Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 98 SHO, recently the power windows and sunroof will not operate. Unfortunatly they are open! I checked the fuse under dash is ok. I also replaced the relay, took apart the old one and found a broken wire. I thought that was the problem for sure. Still nothing. Also now the tans will not shift out of park! Could be related somehow? Maybe a sensor? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Cliff

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
By not shifting out of park, do you mean the shifter moves, but the trans does not respond or you can't move the shifter at all?

If it's the former, then it could be a bad Transmission Range Sensor (which would affect the power windows). If it's the latter, then it's a bad Brake On/Off switch (which would not affect the power windows).

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The tranny stuck in park is likely a bad brake pedal switch, or the wiring to the switch. See if your brake lights work. If they don't, fix the wire or replace the switch. There's a shift interlock mechanism that prevents you from taking the tranny out of park without your foot on the brake. If the brake switch is bad, or the wire is broken, then the signal won't get to the interlock to release it. You can shift out of park by putting the key in the ignition and turning it forward one or two clicks, but not all the way to run. Then you should be able to shift into neutral. From there, you can start the car, then shift into gear to drive away. As long as you don't put it back in park, you're fine, otherwise you'll have to do that again to get it out of park.

As for the windows, check the accessory delay relay in the fuse panel. It powers the windows and sunroof. It could be junk.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello all,
An update...I checked all the fuses and relays, even found another batch next to the battery. All are good. Still no power windows or sunroof or shifting out of park! Brake lights work. Shifter wont move.
Cliff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts