Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought our '96 in '06 and the power windows have never worked, except for the driver's window. The master switch, the individual switches, it doesn't matter. I've read about how wire corrosion is a common problem that causes these symptoms. I also know that on other cars, window motors/regulators can be a common culprit.

Is there an easy way to figure out what is causing the problem before tearing things apart? Or is trial and error unavoidable?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it maybe the switch that turns the passengers windows off if that is faulty they may not work.
Interesting. Does that switch completely disable the windows or does it just deactivate the non-master switches? In other words, if the other windows are locked, should the master switch still work?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe so.
All right, so even if the master switch were faulty and somehow permanently locked all the other windows, I should still expect the master switch to control them?

Are the remote switches tied into the master switch? If everything else is working properly, could a malfunctioning master switch cause the remote switches not to work? Or should I expect the remote switches to work properly even if the master switch is messed up?

·
Registered
23,366 Posts
^ Also, pretty common to have a broken wire(s) in the big wiring harness bundle coming into the door caused from age, temp., flexing, etc.

·
Registered
424 Posts
No need to make 3 posts back to back to back, I see that you do that a lot, that's what the EDIT button is for!! -_-

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All right, I've made some progress. I looked at the bundle of wires running along the bottom of the driver's door, but didn't see anything immediately concerning. I did jostle it a bit though. After doing that for a minute, both rear windows started working. I still can't get the front passenger window to work.

After I reported this to my wife, she said the rear driver window had always worked. So the driver-side windows had worked by the passenger-side windows hadn't. Now the rear passenger window is working, and I have one more to go.

I don't have a service manual for this car. Can someone tell me the color of the wires in the bundle that go to each window? Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts