Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This evening I tried to roll up the drivers side power window and the window failed to raise up and then dropped down into the door jam. I took the door panel off and it appears that the window has come off the track and is resting against the bottom of the door. I see two white plastic looking washers in the bottom of the door cavity as well. It looks like the pieces that held the window onto the track must have broken off.
At this point, I assume that it is best to just replace the entire door with a door from a junk yard. It looks nearly impossible to get inside the door panel to fix the window.
Is the best approach in this case to replace the entire door?
If so, has anyone done this and have some tips as I replace the door? The hardest part looks like the harness which runs out to the power side mirror and power locks and window.
By the way, I had to put some clear plastic on the window to hold me over until I get this fixed :glare:
Thanks.
Tim

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You don't have to replace the door. It sounds like the rivets broke that hold the glass to the regulator. All you need to do is get the glass back into the glass runs and manually slide it up... hook the window switch back up to the plugs, and move the regulator up until the track that the window sits in is is lined up to the access holes in the door panel. Position the window back onto the track, and install new rivets. You'll need the proper rivets to do this, and you'll need a pretty big rivet gun. Since you already have the door apart, it probably wouldn't cost you much to take the car to the dealer and have someone just pop the rivets in for you - they should have the rivets and a rivet gun big enough to do it. Then you just gotta put it back together.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Or use 1/4" bolts and nuts in place of the rivets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts