Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power steering reservoir is losing fluid at a rate of 2 inches every 2 weeks. I placed a paper mat under car overnight, but there were no spots on paper the next morning. So far it appears to be a mystery. It's a 03 se with 38000 kms. Planning to book it to shop within the next few days. Anyone have this problem in the past? Thanks....Sleeman

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Have you taken a peek under the car? There will probrably be a good visible indication of where the fluid is coming from. Check the hoses out and the rack itself. If it's leaking from the rack into the rubber boots, the fluid could possible only leak onto the ground during a turn, when the fluid is forced out of the boot.

I just repaired a bad power steering leak on my car the other week, the fluid was leaking out of the top of an electrical connector on a pressure sensor. I found it pretty wierd, so I doubt it's a common failure, but it just goes to show that anything can leak.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
My rack had a slight leak and i just added one of the stop leak additives to it and haven't had a problem with it since. Temporary fix, maybe, but it works for me until it becomes a greater problem. But if you are loosing as much fluid as it sounds like you are loosing i doubt my solution would work on your car. But it never hurts to try. Either way I'd definitely take 93 Sable's advice and check under the car and see if if is visible somewhere or pooling in the boot. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
try stop Lucas and see it that can help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The only real place for PS fluid to hide is the boots protecting the rack inner ends. If you had a piston seal leak in the rack, it could be in the cavity between the rack and the housing. Give it enough time and the rack boots will start leaking.

The racks are greased, PS fluid will wash this out eventually, but if this is the problem and you are taking it in, there shouldn't be a problem.

Unlike brake systems, PS does not use any fluid, don't lett the dealer tell you this is normal.

I noticed a burning oil smell under the hood not too long ago, turned out to be a leaking power steering pump, they replaced it under warranty. Didn't notice a loss of fluid though I really didn't check too closely.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by RocketFast321@Jul 29 2004, 11:11 AM
try stop Lucas and see it that can help.
This is what i used and it stopped my rack leak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In regards to the power steering leak in my 03 Taurus, dealer replaced the rack and the steering gear. Hope that fixes the problem. Thanks for the input from other members.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Sleeman@Aug 5 2004, 07:22 AM
In regards to the power steering leak in my 03 Taurus, dealer replaced the rack and the steering gear. Hope that fixes the problem. Thanks for the input from other members.
:homer: I didn't even notice you said it was a 03 or i would have told you to bring it in under warranty. Man i need to pay closer attention, too much on my mind i guess. :blink: Glad you got it fixed though. :thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts