Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've replaced a power steering pump or high pressure hose, you know how much of a pain those Teflon seals can be to get on. I've seen a lot of different ways to get it on the compression nut but you'll probably mess it up if you try to use your nails to push it on. You run the risk of either tearing it, stretching it, or making it not round so it'll never seal. Here's what I did, and the best part is....... it only costs about $1.

Go to any store, and purchase a small funnel, you can still use it when you are done too. Cut the bottom tapered end about 3" from the bottom. At that point fit the larger end around the nut and start widdling it back till you have a mostly tight fit over the nut. Put the Teflon seal in hot water for about 2-3 minutes so it softens up just a little. Oil up your newly made tool, then slip on the seal at the small end. Push it right up to the nut and it'll slip right on. Here's a pic of how I had it set up and it worked like a charm........ no cursing or throwing tools necessary! :lol2:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
If you've replaced a power steering pump or high pressure hose, you know how much of a pain those Teflon seals can be to get on. I've seen a lot of different ways to get it on the compression nut but you'll probably mess it up if you try to use your nails to push it on. You run the risk of either tearing it, stretching it, or making it not round so it'll never seal. Here's what I did, and the best part is....... it only costs about $1.

Go to any store, and purchase a small funnel, you can still use it when you are done too. Cut the bottom tapered end about 3" from the bottom. At that point fit the larger end around the nut and start widdling it back till you have a mostly tight fit over the nut. Put the Teflon seal in hot water for about 2-3 minutes so it softens up just a little. Oil up your newly made tool, then slip on the seal at the small end. Push it right up to the nut and it'll slip right on. Here's a pic of how I had it set up and it worked like a charm........ no cursing or throwing tools necessary! :lol2:
Creative tool, congrats. Likely better than mine.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just ordered 2 new teflon o rings on amazon. The part i ordered was dorman 82540. It fits the high pressure hose on the duratec. I wasn't able to find it at any local auto part stores.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered 2 new teflon o rings on amazon. The part i ordered was dorman 82540. It fits the high pressure hose on the duratec. I wasn't able to find it at any local auto part stores.
That was the issue I was having, finding it locally. I went to 4 different stores before I found it, then I bought the last 2 they had in stock :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
My teflon seal keeps leaking, so i replaced the power steering pump and put another teflon seal in and it is still leaking!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I ended up paying someone to replace my high pressure power steering hose because it looked like a bitch of a job! No more leak!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,

Once the seal is installed, is it supposed to tighten up in its groove so it won't move?

I used a funnel to make an install tool, and I soaked the seal in hot water for several minutes before installing. It went on with no problems, but after 24 hours it hasn't tightened up. It's loose in its groove and I can rotate it around the the fitting with my fingers. Is it even worth reinstalling the hose, or is it guaranteed to leak?

Below is a photo of my tool and the installed seal. I'm concerned that maybe the funnel plastic was just that little bit too thick and it's stretched the seal too far, but then again, I don't know how thick the proper metal tool is.

I have one more unused seal, and if the installed one is now useless, I was thinking about just wrapping the threads in one layer of duct tape and cutting the funnel to the same diameter as the top of the fitting just to get the seal started.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts