Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any vendor that sells the power steering return hose for my '98 Sable DOHC (the usual places list it as discontinued, part #F8DZ-3A713-AD, and I can't even find it on ebay). Does anyone know a source or a workaround that wouldn't leak?

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
What exactly is wrong with the hose? I assume yours is leaking? If so where is the leak? Return line pressure is only a few psi at the most (unlike the pressure line which runs around 900 psi) so it should be easy to DIY fix the leak.

Have you looked at Rock Auto? I recently picked up a PS pressure line and return line for my 88 Tbird Turbo Coupe (1000x more rare than your Taurus) and 2 years ago picked up the pressure line for my 95 Taurus Vulcan (also getting pretty rare these days) all from Rock Auto.

Reactions: DaveW01

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly, I don't know exactly where it's leaking. Had a mechanic replace my rack and pinion and power steering pump, got it home and it was leaking fluid from somewhere (I've gotten old enough I don't even try for the most part to work on this car--too tight in there & you have to remove half the bolt-ons to get to anything). I take it back and he tells me they don't make the hose anymore and so he spliced in a section of hose and added some stopleak and that's the best he can do. Couldn't believe the part wasn't available at all, but it certainly isn't from Ford and I can't find an aftermarket replacement at places like Autozone or Rock Auto. It fails inspection because of the leak, so I can't keep driving it if I can't fix the hose. I have a sneaking suspicion he may have buggered up the fitting somehow. I was thinking I'd get the hose, go down there and hand it to him, and tell him to stop the damned leak, but apparently that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey Jbob.

I just checked Rock Auto for your 1998 Sable DOHC and they list power steering return hose, gear to filter and have four to choose from ranging from 25.79 to 56.79. The Sunsong, Edelmann, and Gates list the factory number you have. Check under steering. If this is not the hose you need, then good luck. I think I would order one from Rock Auto, tell him the part is available after market, hand it to him and let him install. I am not very familiar with the DOHC, have a Vulcan. For more info and photos see Rock Auto.

Scott

SUNSONG 3401914 {#F8DZ3A713AD} Info
Gear To Filter

$25.79

Add to Cart

EDELMANN 80414 {#F8DZ3A713AD} Info
One of our most popular parts

Gear To Filter

$33.79

Add to Cart

GATES 363630 {#1047, 73407, F8DZ3A713AD} Return Line Assembly Info
Gear To Filter

$33.79

Add to Cart

ACDELCO 36363630 {#19286482} Info
Gear To Filter

$56.79

Add to Cart

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Jbob, your mechanic is an idiot and a hack. He used stop leak???? What an idiot!!

Find a mechanic who actually knows something about cars and knows how to fix them the RIGHT way!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I reread your post and you had the steering rack and power steering pump replaced. Most of the stop leaks contain something to try and swell the seals to stop leaks. I don't think I would want the stop leak in the system with the replaced components. As far as the hose any leaks would have to be connection to the gear, connection to the filter, or the hose itself. Jeff K is a professional and his point was that the low pressure line is subject to nominal pressure. It seems like this should be able to be repaired so you can drive the vehicle again.

Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
Honestly, I don't know exactly where it's leaking. Had a mechanic replace my rack and pinion and power steering pump, got it home and it was leaking fluid from somewhere (I've gotten old enough I don't even try for the most part to work on this car--too tight in there & you have to remove half the bolt-ons to get to anything). I take it back and he tells me they don't make the hose anymore and so he spliced in a section of hose and added some stopleak and that's the best he can do. Couldn't believe the part wasn't available at all, but it certainly isn't from Ford and I can't find an aftermarket replacement at places like Autozone or Rock Auto. It fails inspection because of the leak, so I can't keep driving it if I can't fix the hose. I have a sneaking suspicion he may have buggered up the fitting somehow. I was thinking I'd get the hose, go down there and hand it to him, and tell him to stop the damned leak, but apparently that's not going to happen.
I did this repair on my 99 Taurus DOHC 3.0L. It was a pain to replace because of very little space to operate. Had to "snake" it through a lower "cavity" area then up to the pump. My guess is the flat rate time is 1/3 the real time needed to replace it, and your mechanic doesn't want the hassle.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's a strong possibility that your "mechanic" screwed up the task of replacing the the R&P steering rack and/or pump. Get a second opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts