Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I’m planning on removing my power steering pump this weekend. I have a Motorcraft rebuilt unit from Rock Auto that arrived today. I see the clearance to get my pulley remover in place is a bit tight. For those with experience in this have you been successful pulling the pulley off with the power steering pump in place or did you remove the alternator and remove the entire cradle assembly? Can anyone suggest a good video on this? I usually use Eric the car guy or A-1 Auto but can’t find one. Thanks.

Spock

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I personally found this video to be pretty good:
Yes, thanks. I’ll try it that way rather than pulling the alternator and unbolting the cradle. It looks like a puller can just fit, especially with a ratchet wrench. Spock. Thanks for the video.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m all done. I used basically the same technique as the video, except I removed the coolant jug. This meant the large hose connected to it could be tucked out of the way of the puller. The pulley came off OK, but I found it easer to hold the end stationary with a ratchet wrench and used an open end wrench to turn the nut to pull off the pulley.

Two tips for putting the new pump on: As you push the pulley back on the turning a nut on the bolt, it become progressively harder. When you pushing it on, you need to hold the pulley from rotating. At first you can use your hand but it gets harder to hold it when you halve a quarter more of an inch to push it fully on. I used two strands of wire to run through a pulley hold and tied it to the alternator support. That held it still. The other thing was making up the high pressure line to the new pump. I couldn’t get it threaded at first until I loosened the support at the exhaust manifold. To do that I had to heat the nut with a torch, then broke it loose. Here is a pick of the wire holding the pulley and one of the torch heating the nut.

Q D7F61E93-AA06-4FBE-AB28-369F5D21916A.jpeg CEA98654-B4A6-4E47-92C0-89CA403E820D.jpeg 34549D48-6BAD-4F05-AAA6-4CBC7E24C1B6.jpeg

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Looks annoying. What did you do about the teflon seal? Did you replace that? I had to make a tool for that since it's so picky. It's almost better to just let these stupid things whine instead of going through that hassle when it will whine again anyway, lol. Although I've heard using Mercon LV helps reduce the noise somewhat.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A new Teflon seal came with the rebuilt pump. I lubed up the threads with Mercon V and stripped it over the threads. Here is a photo with it in position and another photo with it buried and the nut made up. No leaks so far. I did end up with lots of air in the system. I did a quick flush with the return line going to a bucket and the pump inlet plugged with a rubber plug that came in place with the plug. I turned the steering wheel lock to lock and at a couple of points it burped fluid out of the reservoir. Quite a mess. Anyway, it sounds acceptable and I’ve been driving around in parking lots going lock to lock. The fluid is Mercon V. The pump was branded as Motorcraft but was rebuilt in Mexico.

52D3DED8-EA63-4584-B325-85AC182A09BD.jpeg
BAF91A69-A023-4242-8313-682C1288E900.jpeg

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Seems like the only effective way is to vacuum bleed it. There's an adapter you can get for a mityvac that supposedly works pretty well. Also if you made a mess make sure you clean it up good or it will go to work deleting the rubber on that front motor mount under the pump.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I used a pry bar to bust the plastic PS pulley from the hub, easy to get to the three bolts.
Purchased new steel pulley from Rock Auto. Under $10 and saves you lot of time wasted removing the old one.
I used my Genuine Vise Grip chain to hold the pulley install tool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts