Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently replacing the power steering pump on my '01 Vulcan and have run into a snag.

I absolutely cannot get the pulley pressed on the shaft of the new pump. The pump is an A-1 Cardone remanufactured part, and the pulley is a new replacement. I'm using a bolt, washer and nut to press the new pulley on, which were included with the pump, but it will not press all the way on. It goes on a little bit (probably about 1/4"), but then jams on the shaft and won't move any further. I've tried two different pullies, so that isn't the problem.

The pulley is straight and everything seems to be lined up the way it should be...so I must be missing something. I'm kind of at a loss - any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Bah...what was wrong with a keyed shaft and a bolt? :lol2:

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
You can rent or buy the installation tool at places like AutoZone. I have found that a little white grease on the pump shaft helps some when installing a pulley.

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip!

Still no dice. I took the pump down to have some more experienced people look at it, and they think the pump shaft is the problem...all the parts are correct but nobody could get the pulley any further than I could. Tried (and broke) different installation tools, but the ump shaft shaft is deforming the bore int the pulley and not letting it press on. The store is having another pump overnighted in, so hopefully I'll be back in business tomorrow.

Oh well, the ZX2 gets better gas mileage anyway :grin2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts