Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have replacement power steering pump the I need to install. I have rented the tool from Autozone to remove the pulley but I am having troubles getting the pulley off. I can get the tool on but I don't have much room to get a tool over the bolt that screws in to remove the pulley. The hose from the coolant reservoir is somewhat in the way. Have any of you removed a pulley on a 2003 Vulcan and can share some insight and maybe what kind of tools you used to assist.

Thanks in advance.
David

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Might be easier to remove the pulley with the pump off the engine.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I use a SnapOn Pulley Remover and Installer. Dang thing costed over $150.

But the design is slightly different than the free tool rental tools you can borrow.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. Is it possible to somehow take the power steering pump and pulley off as one unit. I thought I had to get the pulley off first to get at the 3 bolts behind it. I have to figure this out soon because this darn thing is whining bad.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
The pulley has to come off to remove the pump.

The tool I use (K-D) has enough clearance to remove the PS pulley from a Vulcan and my current Essex.

·
Registered
375 Posts
If there is not enough clearance with your puller, you can go the other way and remove the alternator and the entire cradle and pull it out with the pump and pulley still attached. There are some you tube videos on it. I have also seen one where he drained the coolant jug and removed the hose and was able to fit the puller. Once the pulley is removed you can get at the three bolts holding the pump to the cradle.

·
Registered
23,354 Posts
Can you go through the holes on the pulley to access the pump mount bolts with ratchet, extension and socket?

·
Registered
375 Posts
qq
Can you go through the holes on the pulley to access the pump mount bolts with ratchet, extension and socket?
Unfortunately, no, I just checked the holes are on a smaller radius than the bolts and there is no room for knuckles.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Got pulley off with the puller. Decided it was best to drain and remove the overflow jug. It’s pressurized so removed the cap first. That also gets rid of the large hose from the jug which is in the way of the end of the puller and would make putting a socket on the end impossible. By the way,my puller was not metric. It had a 1/2 inch end on the screw and a 13/16” nut.

Now pick the spacer that screws into the shaft. Test fit each one. I found it was the shortest one I had with the proper thread. Screw that in until it bottoms out. You screw the longer side into the shaft. Then you screw the large diameter screw into it, with the nut on it. I’ll post a picture. Then you place the two half shells together and use the metal circular outer ring to hold it together. Back the nut off so it is snug and you know the shells are grabbing the puller.

Now I am am going to share with the novices the big secret to making it work. First turn the large screw from the end until it is bottomed out. Then, hold the end of the screw and turn the nut, so it rides back up the screw dragging the two half shells with it. Some folks say it makes no difference and you can hold the nut stationary and just turn the screw. Unless you are using an impact gun to turn the screw, it is easier to hold the screw stationary and turn the nut.

BDB86655-ED11-46B8-8753-BC4BC11EA8D1.jpeg 17A413A3-DC74-4A70-B294-316962004CA3.jpeg FE424814-8D9D-46B9-A07C-5F28989F0621.jpeg 04231E4D-6713-4258-9BB4-7599C36A3FE8.jpeg 7005D318-D1FA-41DD-9DB6-66F05BC54DEF.jpeg 7798E2D6-E177-4AAE-B732-4236F4212547.jpeg

·
Registered
375 Posts
I’m going to edit my comment on assembling the puller. I should have been using the non threaded pin in photo 3 instead of the threaded bolt. Then it would have worked fine rotating the puller from the end. My bad. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts