Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm working on a 2005 taurus with a 3.0L, single cam engine. I'm replacing the power steering pump and also the pulley, as I happened to break the old one during removal :) The problem I'm having is when installing the new pulley it gets maybe 1/4 of the way on and the pulley stops, can't install any further. I took it to the local machine shop to have them do it and was told that it wasn't possible without honing the pulley. The guy said he's had to do that before. I'm having a hard time believing that this a procedure ford would go through at their shops just to change a pulley. However, I will admit that the old pulley was extremely tight, which I expected. Does anyone have any personal experience or suggestions with this issue? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
the pulleys fit on extremely tight and need to be pressed on with enormous force
i just changed my pump today as i fried the old one, pulley and all
press-fiting the new pulley on required an impact wrench

i can imagine it wouldn't take much to make one not fit

did you buy the pulley new? i would just return it and get a new one

also don't try to hammer it on, that'l just eff up your pump and you wont be able to get it on all the way anyway

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
A little white grease on the pump shaft will help the pulley slide on.

Reactions: downhill

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've replaced by P.S. pump twice during the last year. Can't get the noise out of it so ended up putting the old one back on, was quieter.
What's the trick to get the noise out of one?

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
^^^^^ One "trick" is to not use the cheapo pumps sold by the discount parts places. I assume the system was properly bled after the replacement pumps were installed.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
^^^^^ One "trick" is to not use the cheapo pumps sold by the discount parts places. I assume the system was properly bled after the replacement pumps were installed.
+1. that whine can also be cause by using the wrong fluid. but if you dont bleed it ........

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Sometimes the pump is just noisy.

·
Registered
606 Posts
The Ford service dept guy told me that if they did it was still a 50% chance it would be noisy, no guarantees. So, if someone knows exactly how to replace it with a quiet one, would sure like to know. Yes, I bled it, turned the steering wheel back and forth, and tried Mercon III, now have Mercon V in it. Same humming buzz no matter what I try.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
after turning the wheel back and forth look at the fluid and see if its got foam on the top or bubbles.
I have had good luck with the car on an incline to do a bleed down of the pump.when i start i get the humming when i am done its quiet.
yes some pumps are just a pita and want to make noise no matter what you do to it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts