Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 Taurus Power Steering Pump started racheting/growling very loudly yesterday. I figured I would have to replace the pump. The car has 68K miles.

When I started it up after lunch today it had magically fixed itself.

Is the growling going to come back? Was it really the pump or could it have been the Rack and Pinion or something else?

I was thinking I should probably flush the fluid. Any other suggestions? Should I go ahead and replace the pump? Do these things fail catastrophically? Will I lose the serpentine belt and be stranded?

·
Registered
67 Posts
What is the fluid level at?

My opinion: Perhaps some air got into the hydraulic line and caused the noise. The noise went away after the air had a chance to rise through the hydraulic line and escaped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fluid level has always been good.

There has always been a little howling from the pump since we got it at 30K miles but only noticeable when the windows are down while making a hard slow turn such as in a parking lot. I assumed this was normal for a Taurus.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
You don't ever max out your rack, do you? That will damage the rack.

If the PS pump is going out, it will whine all the time. The sound will get louder as you turn the wheel, and become higher pitched as tou rev the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
My rack went out on my 99 a week or so ago, haven't gotten around to fix it yet....maybe by this weekend...but sounds like the same problem i had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts