Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My power steering has lost all assist and is making a whining noise when I do try to turn the steering wheel. There was some fluid leaking on the ground under the car so I figured a hose was leaking or something. When I checked the fluid level it was ok, but there was fluid sitting on the top of the cap and all down the pump. I assume this means fluid is coming out of the vent hole on top of the cap. The hoses do not appear to be leaking. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you get enough air in the system it will be compressed by the pump when running. When shut down it will expand and force fluid out of the cap like a geyser. I had this problem after completely draining the system for front end repair. I removed the air using a Ford procedure that utilizes a hand vacuum pump and a rubber stopper for the reservoir. My question is how did all of that air enter the system in the first place? I would clean up the affected area with degreaser, fill the reservoir to normal and see if you can find a leak. Be careful not to get sprayed in the face(or anywhere else)-mine sprayed high enough to hit the open hood above it. Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the reply 2000_Gold_Taurus. I don't know how air would be getting into the system. I have not done any work to the steering system. Just noticed the fluid on the ground and the hard steering and started looking into the problem. More investigation required i guess. Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK. Jacked the car up and put on jackstands. Tried using my mighty-vac to remove air from the power steering fluid system. What a collossal waste of time, the mighty-vac is a POS. Then had helper turn steering wheel lock to lock slowly while I added power steering fluid. This seemed to get a lot of air out and after a few minutes of running this seemed to settle the issue. Whining stopped, power assist returned, fluid level stabilized. Turned engine off and watched as a magnificient geyser of hot power steering fluid shot all the way up to the hood and splashed everywhere. Anyone got any ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (bullish @ May 26 2010, 05:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807083
OK. Jacked the car up and put on jackstands. Tried using my mighty-vac to remove air from the power steering fluid system. What a collossal waste of time, the mighty-vac is a POS. Then had helper turn steering wheel lock to lock slowly while I added power steering fluid. This seemed to get a lot of air out and after a few minutes of running this seemed to settle the issue. Whining stopped, power assist returned, fluid level stabilized. Turned engine off and watched as a magnificient geyser of hot power steering fluid shot all the way up to the hood and splashed everywhere. Anyone got any ideas?[/b]
My car is doing the same thing. There are posts on this site describing how to fix the problem, but they are not very detailed. Air is getting in somewhere inside the steering rack boot on the passenger side. There is something that needs to be tightened to fix the problem. It would be great if someone could point us to a more detailed fix, as I would like to work on mine this weekend.
Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts