Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there i am having problems with the power steering

keeps running low and try to look for a leak but cant find one can any one tell me how do the hoses run its a 1998 ford taurus DOHC

what i did put some fluid and see that it just need some but i notice that it went low agian :dunno: :dunno:

if possible can you show pics :(

need help

THANKs

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
if you park on a clean dry spot either on the road or in your driveway with a warm car and turn the wheels lock to lock a couple times do you get spots on the ground? if so you should be able to look sraight uip from that spot and hopefully find your leak. if no spots apear you may have a leak on one of the end seals of the rack and pinnion if you squeeze the boot on either end you should be able to feel if there is fluid in there

·
Registered
80 Posts
QUOTE (sable23 @ Apr 20 2009, 05:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719146
if you park on a clean dry spot either on the road or in your driveway with a warm car and turn the wheels lock to lock a couple times do you get spots on the ground? if so you should be able to look sraight uip from that spot and hopefully find your leak. if no spots apear you may have a leak on one of the end seals of the rack and pinnion if you squeeze the boot on either end you should be able to feel if there is fluid in there[/b]

Yup have one as well same year. The left seal is leaking in the boot, after a couple bottles of fluid you will see the leak.

Started during winter so out of desperation from the leak going real fast I started using gear lube. Believe it or not it slowed the leak down and the PS is working normal. I have a parts car for it but just waiting for nice weather to tear into it.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (SteveRC @ Apr 20 2009, 06:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719160
QUOTE (sable23 @ Apr 20 2009, 05:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719146
if you park on a clean dry spot either on the road or in your driveway with a warm car and turn the wheels lock to lock a couple times do you get spots on the ground? if so you should be able to look sraight uip from that spot and hopefully find your leak. if no spots apear you may have a leak on one of the end seals of the rack and pinnion if you squeeze the boot on either end you should be able to feel if there is fluid in there[/b]

Yup have one as well same year. The left seal is leaking in the boot, after a couple bottles of fluid you will see the leak.

Started during winter so out of desperation from the leak going real fast I started using gear lube. Believe it or not it slowed the leak down and the PS is working normal. I have a parts car for it but just waiting for nice weather to tear into it.....
[/b][/quote]

where can i locate the left seal in the boot new at engine stuff thanks for the help

thanks hope this solves the mystery with what going on with power steering

1 - 4 of 4 Posts