Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your thoughts - ideas would be appreciated 1996 Sable 3.0L vulcan 124,000 km
Sunday -25c outside started the car within a few seconds puddle on drivers side behind the front tire.
Had it towed to a shop, they checked it out a said the filter split, fine, replaced with a new one (ford) flushed and bled system and all that jazz. Picked up the car Tuesday night fine until Thursday mourning! Same thing that mourning as Sunday! :eek: Towed back to the shop, yup filter cracked again! So fixed the second time like the first, went to pick the car up tonight oh ya still minus freeking 25, started the car waited about ten seconds tried to turn the steering wheel (had a gut feeling!) you guessed it wheel was harder than hell to turn, puddle under the car again :angry: Looked as best as I could under the car, filter was cracked again not on the side but the front end of the filter, flow arrow was pointing to the front of the car. Up until sunday we have had no problems with the PS on this car (2 years). Is this filter really required? Is the filter located in the preesure side or the return and were the filter is situated is it flow going to the front or back?

Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sunday -25c outside started the car within a few seconds puddle on drivers side behind the front tire.
Had it towed to a shop, they checked it out a said the filter split, fine, replaced with a new one (ford) flushed and bled system and all that jazz. Picked up the car Tuesday night fine until Thursday mourning! Same thing that mourning as Sunday! :eek: Towed back to the shop, yup filter cracked again! So fixed the second time like the first, went to pick the car up tonight oh ya still minus freeking 25, started the car waited about ten seconds tried to turn the steering wheel (had a gut feeling!) you guessed it wheel was harder than hell to turn, puddle under the car again :angry: Looked as best as I could under the car, filter was cracked again not on the side but the front end of the filter, flow arrow was pointing to the front of the car. Up until sunday we have had no problems with the PS on this car (2 years). Is this filter really required? Is the filter located in the preesure side or the return and were the filter is situated is it flow going to the front or back?

Thanks
[/b]
Well first, did you bring it to the dealership? IF it was at a ford dealership, or any shop for that matter, all they are doing is fixing the aftermath of your problem. Your problem obviously isn't a power steering filter, It sounds like something is clogged in the lines or you have a kinked hose or maybe your fluid is freezing and its time for a fluid flush, old fluid is probably like all other fluids, it starts losing its abilities to lubricate, resist freezing and all that good stuff... But I Digress.

What you should do first is take it back to the shop, and complain... ALOT. Say things like your ripping me off by not fixing my actual problem. I know my filter isn't bad, why don't you fix whats making my filter split instead of charging me a quarter hour to replace it or however much it pays. If you have to, even bring the name BAR into it, and really give them a scare lol. It sounds to me like there ripping you off.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

Thanks
[/b]
Well first, did you bring it to the dealership? IF it was at a ford dealership, or any shop for that matter, all they are doing is fixing the aftermath of your problem. Your problem obviously isn't a power steering filter, It sounds like something is clogged in the lines or you have a kinked hose or maybe your fluid is freezing and its time for a fluid flush, old fluid is probably like all other fluids, it starts losing its abilities to lubricate, resist freezing and all that good stuff... But I Digress.

What you should do first is take it back to the shop, and complain... ALOT. Say things like your ripping me off by not fixing my actual problem. I know my filter isn't bad, why don't you fix whats making my filter split instead of charging me a quarter hour to replace it or however much it pays. If you have to, even bring the name BAR into it, and really give them a scare lol. It sounds to me like there ripping you off.
[/b][/quote]

He said the fluid was flushed, so that's not the issue. The issue definitely isn't the filter though. A test should be done to find restriction in the lines.

IIRC Ford's procedure uses a device that you put inline with the power steering high pressure. It's got a valve that can open fully, partially open, and close fully, and it measures Gallons per Minute and PSI. I can't remember all the steps of the procedure though. But doing it, it helps to diagnose restrictions and pump problems (and I believe a few other things, but it's been a while now since I took the Ford Steering and Suspension course).

Tell your mechanic to stop throwing the same part at the car, and actually try to figure out what the hell is wrong. He should have some type of procedure to test the P/S system. If he doesn't have any way to test a P/S system, and he's doing P/S system repairs, then he's a hack.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts