Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Power Steering Preventative Maintenance

I live in Texas and the only thing hotter than the summers is the food. It pays to properly maintain your vehicle out here. Here's a simple procedure to take care of your Taurus' power steering unit. Buy a Deluxe Rubber Battery Filler from Advance Auto Parts or Sears for around $1.99. Periodically, use the squeeze bulb to empty the power steering sump and refill it to the proper level with your favorite Mercon ATF. You can use Mercon or Mercon V. Motorcraft Mercon V is a partial synthetic. However, I prefer to go with full synthetic fluids, so I use Amsoil ATF. It's a no brainer.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Not much difference between PS fluid and ATX fluid. For the money synthetic is the way to go. Use Amsoil ATX myself. I use a 1/4" ID clear vinyl tube and siphon the stuff out.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
So far 2 people have quickly said Amsoil ATF the synthetic kind. So that is what I wil do this weekend. Suck out the old and pour in some new. The power streeing fluid is an area I been wanting to maintain for a while but, just haven't gotten around to it. This weekend it will happin. I could probably do it right now but, I try not to work to hard after a day of work :lol2: .

·
Registered
156 Posts
You can also have it flushed at some mechanics' shops. They run a mild cleaner through the system a few times, fill it with fluid, flush, and fill again.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
To see if the fluid is very burnt do this. Using a white napkin apply a drop of your present fluid and next to it a drop of new fluid. You will know immediately what state your fluid is in.

If your present fluid is very burnt you can do one of two things. Either use a cleaner or a slow change and refill. The cleaner of my choice would definitely be Auto-RX available at www.auto-rx.com. Or you could drain the reservoir and refill with cheap ATX, wait till it gets dirty again judging by the napkin test. When it is again dirty the drain and refill. Do as often as is necessary. You will be best served using a gallon of cheap ATX fluid from wally world.

If you go the Auto-RX way then you will still need to run a few quarts of generic ATX fluid through it to get it flushed.

Either way once the fluid is staying clean, THEN drain and refill a couple of times with some good synthetic ATX fluid.

You can add a Magnifine filter if you wish, be sure to use the 1/2" one. Once this is done you should be able to go over 5 years without doing anything again, if ever.

To do a flush by disconnecting the hose is inviting a big mess and will no clean out the system due to the small overall capacity of it.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I've disconnected the return line from the reservoir, and ran it to a bucket. The return inlet I plug with a rubber stopper or similar. I then have an assistant start the car, and turn the wheel lock to lock as I feed the reservoir fresh fluid until the discharge is clean. I then have them stop the engine, reconnect everything, and top off the fluid, and bleed any air that I may have let in (usually none).

·
Registered
308 Posts
I know, I know, I know! I still need to do mine also!
Where does one get the magnafine filter and cost?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used the "turkey baster" method. Bought the baster at a Dollar General store for
.......... a dollar. Every morning I'd take about a cup of fluid out and replace it with new fluid. Then drive the car around to mix the old and the new. Ran about 2 quarts through over a week or so until it became very clear. Cost about $4

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The Magnifine is available at www.bulkparts.com. Amsoil is rated for Ford Type F. If you use synthetic fluid once it is clean you probably will not have to change it again.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Aug 20 2004, 09:18 PM
The Magnifine is available at www.bulkparts.com. Amsoil is rated for Ford Type F. If you use synthetic fluid once it is clean you probably will not have to change it again.
Thanks Paul, The other thing is that Amsoil is not sold in parts stores is it? Where does one get that? Also if one does not want to get Amsoil, will another good brand synthetic ATX fluid work also?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Amsoil is available for retail prices from the Amsoil web site. Or through dealers such as me for less.

For the PS, Mobil One ATX fluid is OK, you can get that at AutoZone. I wouldn't use it in my tranny though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts