Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What power steering line is this, the return? Also where can I buy this part? I found a couple sites but I don't want to order the wrong line. The section I have circled in red is approx. where it's leaking from. Is this all one piece from the cooler to the rack/pinion? Thanks.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
That is the return (low pressure) line. You can fix it with oil resistant (i.e. fuel line) rubber hose and clamps.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^ +1

I would use tranny cooler line to be sure it is 100% resistant to tranny/PS fluid, but I am pretty sure fuel line will work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know if it's the hose or metal line part of it, I have to pinpopint it to verify. I was just thinking it would be easier and less future problems to get the whole new piece.
I was told not to splice it cause it's a high pressure line.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Neo,
Who told you not to splice it, a dealer or repair shop? Sometimes preventing future problems can involve replacing a metal part with something that can't rust. Are you in NY? Then you know about rust. The high pressure line runs from the PS pump to the rack, returns via the cooler, neoprene (or Viton, or whatever the hell it's made from) fuel injection lines run at higher pressure than this line. I have put hose in place of rotted metal on a few cars. No call backs yet....
If that little metal section HAD to stay metal, I would make one with my tube bender. Rubber/metal parts are usually way over priced, and can usually be replaced with something much simpler and cheaper. There's a famous thread about a Duratec cooling line rubber/metal $160 part replaced with a $20 hose that is typical.

@ Jeff, one in the same. Oil proof is gas proof is oil proof.
(what's gas made from again?.....)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll be pinpointing the leak and replacing with hose. Right now it's too cold to get outside.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I need some more info. I've never really had to replace lines before. How do I eliminate the metal line. Go from the cooler and replace all the way back to the rack fitting? Also in the diagram it looks to be clamped to the cooler, not a fitting is this correct? As for connecting to the rack fitting, I get a fitting to put on the end of the hose? If so what angle would I need and size? Thanks.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Neo27ny, i would just cut out the small leaking area with a tubing cutter or close quarters hacksaw and splice in a hose section with clamps on each end.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts