Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Taurus Limited has a leak at the high pressure power steering line and rack and pinion connection. I have replaced hose and O-rings and it still leaks out after driving it awhile. it may go 30 miles and then start leaking. When it starts to leak, it will leak while running and while sitting. I have tried using an O-ring with a bigger wall thickness and it still will leak. Any suggestions on the root cause? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
On two of my Sable the pressure switch was the one leaking - right at the end, where the connector is. Connector was filled with oil.

Reactions: james27613

·
Registered
4 Posts
2008 Taurus Limited has a leak at the high pressure power steering line and rack and pinion connection. I have replaced hose and O-rings and it still leaks out after driving it awhile. it may go 30 miles and then start leaking. When it starts to leak, it will leak while running and while sitting. I have tried using an O-ring with a bigger wall thickness and it still will leak. Any suggestions on the root cause? Thank you in advance.
Have you found a cure ? This is the second Taurus X I've had with the same leak you describe . Leaks at the o ring at the rack and hose connection . Changed o rings several times first . Replaced hose and still leaks . It is not the pressure switch connector . Running out of options .

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a Ford Focus with a similar sort of setup. You have to make sure the hose itself is well secured to the rack, and that the fitting is straight in the inlet bore of the rack. If the hose is not secured in the bracket(not just at the fitting), it will wobble around and cause a leak. You may need to check the inlet bore for damage, and confirm it is not the low pressure side. There are a lot of places the leak can be coming from in that area.
It may be a good idea to use a Motorcraft part for the hose, since I recall an aftermarket hose I used on an older sable was not formed the same way as the original ford part, and a bracket did not line up with a stud properly. With the system they have on the newer racks, such a situation might cause the fitting to be askew in the bore, and possibly cause leaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After repeated attempts to find a cure , I replaced the rack and pinion which finally cured my leak . Apparently the bore where the pressure hose Inserts into the rack was worn or not correct . I also noticed when I removed the original rack and pinion that there was a sticker on it that said remanufactured ! So this rack was already replaced once ! ( Bought the car used ) so I'm very happy that this is finally fixed !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts