Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Taurus SE. When I drive through water the power steering goes out. Once the belt drys out it works good. My mechanic says the valance under the car is gone. He says this part keeps the power steering belt dry. He said Ford stopped making this part in 2002 and he can' get one. I can't find anything about this part on line. Does anybody have any suggestions, or do I just not drive when it's raining? Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Go to your local U Pull yard and get a used one. It's just a plastic shield underneath that runs the width of the front end and simply unbolts. Take longer to walk out there and find a donor car than to remove it.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Go to your local U Pull yard and get a used one. It's just a plastic shield underneath that runs the width of the front end and simply unbolts. Take longer to walk out there and find a donor car than to remove it.
Two things:
Pic is the air dam and it is JY part, easy to find as the fit a number of years without regard to engine.

Second issue, if you have a DOHC engine there is a plastic shield just below the alternator pulley. That would be needed from a DOHC engine car. My wagon has that missing and had it 3.5 years and no issue.

Best use a belt what we called "gatorback" which is now under a new name but it has teeth in the "V" side of the belt and that acts like tread on a tire for getting rid of any water on the belt.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,699 Posts
^^^^ New name is Continental Elite. ROokauto has them very reasonable priced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mechanic says this part is on the right side of the engine and is L shaped with 4 mounting holes, does not run the with of the car. I have called several salavage yards and they either don't have Taurus's that old or don't know what I'm talking about.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
Chart's right. That's the only other shield on that side of the engine.

I'd also concerned with the condition of the belt and the tensioner. A little water should not cause that much of an issue unless the belt is stretched or the tensioner is shot as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the three pictures that Chartmaker sent, the last one shows the label with the part number. It is a different number that is in the post, XF1Z-10317-AA. I looked up the number on the label, YF1Z-10317-AA, And it shows a different looking part. Every where I have looked shows that the part # YF1Z-1013-AA is not available. Can anyone help me.

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Chart's right. That's the only other shield on that side of the engine.

I'd also concerned with the condition of the belt and the tensioner. A little water should not cause that much of an issue unless the belt is stretched or the tensioner is shot as well.
Daughter's '98 DOHC had issue with PS out when she pulled into her drive and water was standing in the low between the road and her driveway. Car did not have a shield. Came that way new. New belt fixed the issue.

My '03 DOHC missing and I have had it 3 1/2 years no issue. Has the Gatorback brand from when they called it that.

Good call on replace the belt and check the tensioner. I am on Bull #7 & #8 and never replaced a tensioner. Several belts as normal maint. Pic of why belts need to be replaced.

Case: Lin Cont new and within warranty PS failing at parking lot speeds. Dealer put everything in PS new and did not help. Belt was bad. Hardened and glazed. It was not the tensioner. Just poor OE part.

Keep it simple.:lol2:

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Called many junk yards. Only a few had any Taurus's, most did not know what I was talking about. Went to them but they did not have part on car.

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
In TX don't you have U-Pull-It yards that you can get exactly what you are looking for? Did you check how your belt looks?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
sousa632
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing