Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed my power steering pump was growling at me, I checked the fluid and it was real low, so I topped it off. The next day I got the same problem, topped it off again. I was looking around in the engine bay for leaks and I found something disturbing... Both the drivers side boot and passenger side boots look like they are bulging, and the passenger side boot is popping over the clamp on the tie rod. the passenger side boot is covered in power steering fluid. The car steers fine except on very slow turns and sometimes you can feel the power steering kick out... The problem occured after I took a corner rather harsh to scurry through a break in traffic. I was going down the road and felt a little vibration and whine from the car...I thought I toasted another wheel bearing...the vibration went away......The car does not float anywhere on the road... my allignment has been off for some time, but I havent paid no mind to it..... I personally think I killed my rack, I have 140,900 miles on the car. My question is has anyone had this problem? Was it just the gear, a bushing/bearing, seal, or did the whole rack go? How hard is it to replace yourself? The haynes says to lower the back of the engine and remove i think 3 bolts inside the car, and 2 off the frame....sounds easy, but is it?

Ahhhhh! And i Just replaced both axles, bearings, ball joints, knuckles, brakes...and my water pump is due........ *sigh*

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'd just get a new rack, rather than bother with fixing the leak. I've never done a Taurus, but I did one on a Tempo for a neighbor. It wasn't too difficult. I think it was about $120 for the rack (but i think it was a reman). You will need to have an alignment done after obviously.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$35 for one at the salvage yard.... $180 for a reman.... *ponders

1 - 4 of 4 Posts