Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! Quick question, I am trying to find the correct PS fluid for my '94 SHO. I am familiar with later cars using Mercon ATF but the owner's book just says Ford Premium Power Steering Fluid. Is that just regular off-the-shelf steering fluid or is it something special? I ask because what I drained yesterday was red and smelled and felt like Mercon.

As a side, I found this on amazon, https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ford-Fluid-XL-14-Steering/dp/B0031BR6PC
It's power steering, but also Mercon V? Is this the same as as ATF Mercon V? Just a smaller bottle, perhaps? I ask this one since it's the only Ford PS fluid a (quick) Google search came up with. It does say it's for 1998 and up tho, not 1994

·
Super Moderator
8,871 Posts
I have been running Mercon V in my 95 Vulcan since I got it 12 years ago. No issues.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I've used Motorcraft Mercon-V that was back specifird for replacing Mercon in my 94 Taurus 3.8L variable boost power steering system since they stopped making Mercon 20 years ago & the system still works fine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see. But why doesn't the book call it Mercon?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
K, did a little more digging in the service book. Turns out she takes spec ESW-M2C33-F or part XT-1-QF, which is fancy talk for Type F. Apparently, the "Ford Premium Power Steering" in the owners manual isn't regular ps, it's just a smaller bottle of type f, just like the Mercon ps fluid I linked earlier.

If this makes it easier to find in a search later: 1994 Ford Taurus used Type F atf for power steering fluid, just not for the transmission, that is Mercon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts