Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Over the years, on both my 94 3.8L Taurus & 99 4.0L Ranger, even with 25-30K P/S system fluid flushes with the specified Motorcraft fluids, I've had intermittent P/S system off center "shudder".

These shudders have always responded favorably to a dose of Seafoam Trans Tune, but I've wondered over the years, if particulate contamination of the fluid may also be part of the puzzle & not until now, have I been able to find a product that would meet all my vehicles space & system needs.

I researched, located, ordered from Advance Auto & instaled a "Magnefine" filter in each vehicles P/S return line this weekend.

This filter seems to have been well thought through & executed & it's quality seems good, but it's kinda pricey at $19 ea, although I've seen them on the net for $15.

It's small enough to fit in restricted space, has a folded 25u filter media, with a built in bypass valve, in case it cloggs, boost won't be restricted or lost, or the filter won't expode, lol

It'll just go into bypass like a normal oil filter, relieving system back pressure, so the pump doesn't get tired &
it's built in magnet, will still continue pulling out any ferrous debris, which there shouldn't be much of in a P/S system, but there is in a tranny, which this filter is also designed to fit in it's return line.

The tranny replace time is one year, but in a P/S system, that makes far less debris, I should think we could easily get WAY more service life out of it, especially if our P/S system is clean to begin with.

Anyway I'm going to try them & see if filtering the P/S fluid will have any positive affect on the "shudders" returning over time.

Check them out to see if you think they're for you.
Edit Link 10/27/17 http://www.magnefinefilters.com/main.sc Note that Magnefine filters are now in a Metal container & now made in the USA!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the magnefines and use them in the tranny cooler line.
[/b]
Interesting, as best as I can tell, they've been available since about 05, so how many years have you been using yours & how long a service life have you gotten????

Ever cut an old one open & have a look see after it's spent????

Ever drop a tranny pan after using one, does it eliminate most of the tranny pan debris, or do you suppose most of that is caused by internal sifting, drain back setteling & elutriation????

Trying to get a feel of what to expect when using a Magnefine on a tranny return line. I really don't have room for an external remote oil filter mount, which I've thought about for years now.

The size of the Magnefine filter is just right for my two vehicles limited space & the design with the bypass feature is what I've been looking for, but it's yearly replacement cost doesn't turn me on!!!!
If they could get the cost down to about $!0, I'd sure consider it for my tranny!!!!

Ever tried one on your P/S return line????

·
Premium Member
14,124 Posts
I have cut one open. I've been using them since 2000 that I have documentation on.

I had the large 1/2" on on the PS line once but do not use it there anymore. Never had much problem with the PS system.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much debris have the inline Magnefine filters eliminated from the tranny pan????

I don't know what gives with my Ford power steering systems.
I've always kept the P/S fluid flushed/changed, at or before the tranny severe service schedule of 30K miles, when I flush the tranny, yet both vehicles have acted up & it seems like deposits may be the problem, as the Seafoam Trans Tune has cleared both of them up, from few days to a few weeks. Then maybe three years after flushing the system & changing the fluid, the shudders will return & another dose of Trans Tune clears it up, so I thought maybe part of it may also be a particulate problem even though the fluid looks ok & if so, maybe a filter on the P/S return line would prove positive, anyway I'll see with time!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I started using them at Paul's recommendation about 4 years ago. I had one on the PS line and one on the trans line. Currently, just the one on the trans line. The newer Gen 4 style PS reservoir has a better filter than the earlier Gen 3's, and with synthetic fluid and a better PS cooler, I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Discussed the power steering shudder problem with my Dealers Service Manager today & discovered they use the Magnifine filter on trannies!!!!

He didn't offer up any reasons not to use it on the P/S system.

Just more input, I stumbled upon today!!!!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BUMP/Update:

Well it's been nearly a year now that I cleaned the internals, flushed the P/S systems & added a Magnefine filter to the 94 Taurus & 99 Rangers P/S low pressure return line at the P/S cooler.

So far so good, it seems that the pesky long term, intermittent "shuders", have taken a hike!!!!

So maybe adding a half can Seafoam Trans Tune to the P/S fluid, driving until the problems ceased, then raising the front wheels so they can turn lock to lock, disconnecting the pump return line at the cooler, disabling the fuel pump so the engine won't run & cranking the engine while my helper slowly truned the steering wheel lock to lock to flush the P/S systems, while I poured in the remaining half can of Trans Tune & new fluid & afterward adding the Magnefine filter to small dia low pressure P/S return line at the cooler, has continued filtering deposits & or system particles & has cleaned the systems up & is keeping them clean enough to prevent the "shudders" from returning!!!!

A side benifit for the Taurus is that it's P/S pump is so quiet now, that you have to stand by the passenger side front fender & listen closely, to hear it's faint whine.
Before cleaning, flushing & adding the Magnefine filter, you could hear the pump whine 50 feet away!!!!

Anyway if any of you are having my kind of "shudder", or "whine" problems, maybe consider a half can dose of Seafoam TransTune to the P/S pump reservoir, drive it until things straighen up, or quiet down, flush the system with the other half can of Trans Tune & a couple qts of new tranny fluid, then add a Magnefine filter, or one like it to the P/S pump low prssure return line & maybe you'll get positive results too.

I'd at least try a flush & filter before throwing P/S system parts at the problem!!!!

Some P/S service results & thoughts for pondering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was looking at installing a P/S filter but couldnt find one in the line, do I have to cut the metal hose and install it that way or am I just not looking at the right thing. I have a 2000 vulcan.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not certain how your 2000 is plumbed, but my 99 Ranger & 94 Taurus have a small dia black rubber hose running from the P/S pump, down to the P/S cooler which is located below & in front of the lower radiator support.

So on both of my Fords, they have small dia rubber return lines between the P/S cooler & pump & thats the line you want the filter in.

I just cut & sectoned it by the length of the Magnefines ribbed body, made sure to orient the filters flow arrow toward the pump & was good to go!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was looking at it and I have the rubber hose that your talking about. I think I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend, thanks for the post

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your P/S system will thank you & likely reward you with smoother & quieter operation.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
My '98 Sable Wagon has a factory steel PS filter. It's located on the inside side of the engine cradle, driver's side. It looks just like a filter ;)

I called the dealership just now, the parts man confirmed that it's a PS filter, he'd never seen or heard of one on a Sable before, and then found that he has two in stock! He pulled one, described it accurately. Then the kicker: it costs $180, or $240 with the hose attached.

I just ordered a ATP FX160 inline filter with 25um paper filter and integral magnet, 3/8" hose barbs, about $22, and that's what I'll be replacing mine with.

·
Registered
953 Posts
QUOTE (asavage @ Mar 31 2010, 01:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=794483
My '98 Sable Wagon has a factory steel PS filter. It's located on the inside side of the engine cradle, driver's side. It looks just like a filter ;)

I called the dealership just now, the parts man confirmed that it's a PS filter, he'd never seen or heard of one on a Sable before, and then found that he has two in stock! He pulled one, described it accurately. Then the kicker: it costs $180, or $240 with the hose attached.

I just ordered a ATP FX160 inline filter with 25um paper filter and integral magnet, 3/8" hose barbs, about $22, and that's what I'll be replacing mine with.

[/b]

Could someone please take a picture and post to this forum where the filters are normally found? I would like to look under and see, just haven't had any real time. It would also give me an idea where to look instead of following all the P/S lines around.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
QUOTE (ricer333 @ Mar 31 2010, 12:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=794494
Could someone please take a picture and post to this forum where the filters are normally found? I would like to look under and see, just haven't had any real time. It would also give me an idea where to look instead of following all the P/S lines around.[/b]
I can't right now, because I have the entire cradle & drivetrain on the floor, doing an engine swap. But I'll try to take a pic when I've got it back up where it belongs ;) .

It's quite easy to spot, when you're under the car doing an oil change or whatever.

I do not know what years have this factory-fitted PS filter; I can only say that this 1998 Sable Wagon does.

·
Registered
834 Posts
QUOTE (ricer333 @ Mar 31 2010, 03:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=794494
Could someone please take a picture and post to this forum where the filters are normally found? I would like to look under and see, just haven't had any real time. It would also give me an idea where to look instead of following all the P/S lines around.

Thanks![/b]
I remember seeing a pic of it in a Haynes manual...If I remember correctly, its practically runs along the drivers side of the sub frame.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
(click on any image for larger)

The Magnefine/Raybestos/ATP JX160 inline ATF filter (with a 25 micron element and magnet) retrofits well to this application; the Magnefine fits well into OEM filter clamp on the left subframe rail.

For the search engine, the OEM filter looks like an AC Delco part, with a number of PF-2125, but Google didn't find me any info about that.

The Magnafine inline filter can be had cheaper than the way I bought it locally, but I live in the sticks and I like to buy local.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Bump: Update!!!!

It's been nearly two years since installing the Magnefine filter in my 94 Taurus P/S return line, in order to see if it would have a positive affect on the pesky randomly returning off center shudder & it seems to be doing it's thing, as all is still well with the shudders.

P/S pump is also still quiet too!!!! No whine.

The Motorcraft type F fluid color is still good & the blotter spot test is good, nice even color, no ring deposits are visable.

SO, anyone having the beginnings of P/S system problems, maybe give serious consideration to a system cleaning treatment with Seafoam Trans Tune, or maybe 1oz of Auto-Rx in the fluid, drive it until the symptoms clear up, then flush the system with the remainder of the Trans Tune & a really good quality specified tranny fluid, add, or change your P/S system filter after the flush & see if you too will get positive results.

Nice photos above, asavage.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bump/Update:

Well it's been a little over 3 years now, since flushing the power steering systems with SeaFoam Trans Tune & a couple of qts of the specified tranny fluid & adding an inline Magnefine filter to the low pressure power steering return lines at the cooler, on my 94 Taurus & 99 Ranger & both P/S systems are still "shudder" free & the Taurus pump is still quiet.

SO, it seems for me & the intermittent returning shudder, or loss of boost problems, were being caused by something that the Magnefine filter is removing from the fluid.
The Trans Tune cleaning seemed to be responsible for quieting the P/S pump whine down & the filter seems to be keeping it quiet, at least for the past 3 years.

SO, those with noisy P/S pumps, or shudder, or momentary loss of boost, maybe consider a good cleaning & flush & add a good quality filter to the low pressure P/S return line at the cooler & see how it goes, before throwing expensive parts at your P/S problem.

I've recently seen the Magnefines online for $15ea shipped & that's not a bad deal.
Also have seen a similiar inline filter made by Wix available & it's priced close to, or slightly below the Magnefine. Ford now has one too & it looks to be made by Wix, but they want a Kings ransom for it with the Ford logo on it!!!! lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts