Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a Taurus, although my friend has a 96. The power steering is stiff when the car is stationary or going at a slow speed. It seems to be okay when the car is going at a higher speed. I assisted him with replacing the steering pump, but the same problem continues. I had heard there is a filter in the steering line, and I want to rule out this before going to the rack and pinion.
It seems like an inexpensive part at Autozone. Is this similar to replacing a fuel filter. I'm under the impression this is a pressurized line, and also wondering if the line needs to be bled of air after this is done.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Yes the line will have to be bled from air. Also the power steering filter is easy enough to change (if it has it). Not all tauris have it. The filter lines is only held on by two steel hose crimps. Cut those off pull the lines and install the new filter and use just regular hose clamps you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
how is the bleeding done? My daughter has the exact same steering problem, though not with a taurus...I think bleeding the lines would be similar.

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
Myself I jack the weight off of the front wheels. Fill the reservoir to the proper level and cut the wheels back and forth without holding them against the locks. Do that several times. Let the vehicle sit for a while to let the air rise in the reservoir, then repeat one more time, I may do it a third time if there is a lot of air still in the reservoir.

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
PS air

how is the bleeding done? My daughter has the exact same steering problem, though not with a taurus...I think bleeding the lines would be similar.
I took my pump off and put a seal in it.

Put it back, filled the resivor, started it up, did not turn the wheels.

Ran a minute, shut off and sucked the foaming fluid out, replaced with new fluid.

Repeat, repeat, until no more foam, no more whine.

Never turned the wheels.

All went well. Very quiet. Heard too many stories about noisy pumps, mine was quiet, so I decided to replace the seal and keep my quiet pump.

My filter on the '01 is welded in the high pressure line. Have to replace the line. Filter should not need to be replaced. It is BIG.

-chart-

·
Registered
93 Posts
bleeding should be done by turning the wheel left to right either lifted or on the ground several times all the way. Air will find its way out so check level periodically for a few days of driving.
Usually if turning the wheel is stiff, it could be a leaking hose, sucking air into the system. (I'm having this problem right now, but don't want to spend an entire day (if I can help it) replacing the lines on a 3.8L taurus. I've also had great luck inflating the tires to 36psi (like the factory sticker says).
as for a filter, excellent idea, it will not help with steering, but will help keep metal filings from flowing into the pump & rack.
Get a Magnafine filter or ATP JX-150.. it's an inline filter for oils, and has a bypass when it gets full as well as a magnet to hold onto metal filings.. they're like $18 and worth every penny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts