Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a tranny cooler, and I started thinking, "why not install a small cooler for the power steering?"

Is there any reason not too? I've already killed one power steering rack and pump.... this sounds like a good idea to me. I will use a smaller version of the tranny cooler I'm installing and install a Magnefine filter at the same time.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Does it not already have a cooler?

My SHO does. It's a small finned tube at the front of the rad. It's not much but I don't think the fluid gets all that hot. The use of a good synthetic ATF combined with regular flushing should be enough. Besides, I've never of anyone adding an auxilliary cooler for the power steering fluid. That and you don't want to block the radiator too much.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
1fast97, are you sure that's not your oil cooler? I don't know of any car that has a PS radiator.

I don't see a reason not too, but PS fluid doesn't get that hot. The obvious "get a stacked plate radiator" rule applies.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Apr 4 2004, 08:09 PM
1fast97, are you sure that's not your oil cooler? I don't know of any car that has a PS radiator.
My 86 F150 has a power steering cooler and a transmission cooler.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
actually, i have a power steering cooler I pulled out of an old gen 1 SHO. If you are interested, send me a PM. I really am not looking to get that much for it.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
those two tubes that run in front of the radiator at the bottom of the car are secondary transcooler lines if you have the front bumper off you can trace the lines from there to the radiator and back to the trans.

I circled them in the pic below

Attachments

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Actually, the top line is the secondary tranny cooler. The bottom line is the stock power steering cooler. Just follow the lines.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by Zack@Apr 4 2004, 10:12 PM
Actually, the top line is the secondary tranny cooler. The bottom line is the stock power steering cooler. Just follow the lines.
Yeah, be sure to follow the lines. On my car, it's the opposite, and I've heard that it's the same way on other cars.

Also, my car just had two pipes running, but I believe the later Gen3's got a finned PS pipe. If you don't have a finned pipe, then you'll have to backtrack the pipes to the PS pump. If you do, then the finned one is the PS pipe.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
The PS cooler has a 1/2" tube, the ATX cooler is 3/8". I would just change it out to synthetic ATX fluid for the PS. This will last for years providing the PS system is clean in the first place.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. When I had the rack replaced I brought the shop synthetic oil, but they did not use it because the warranty would not allow it (stoopid
). So I'm going to change out the fluid, and I might as well add a small cooler just for peace of mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.