Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone though of converting a hydraulic power steering system to electrically assisted by a motor in a 4th gen taurus? Or any taurus with hydraulic power steering for that matter.

·
Super Moderator
7,688 Posts
Why? I personally dont care for EPS for 2 reasons: 1) Most EPS vehicles I have driven have very numb steering feel and 2) The DC brush motor that provides the power assist is a wear item. 100% chance it will fail eventually. The EPS system in the late model Taurus is controlled by the PCM..... something you will not be able to set up. I know there are standalone EPS controllers available on Ebay, but I question their long term reliability.

Hydraulic PS systems are nearly bulletproof assuming the fluid is changed on a regular basis. The hydraulic PS system in my 88 Turbo Coupe is still going strong and leak free at 272K miles. I change the fluid every 2 years.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I've got over 100k miles of EPS experience in my Malibu's, I prefer hydro assist, better feel and no steering angle sensor parts to wear out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
repairman54
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing