Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a '98 Sable, my third '90s era Sable/Taurus. I love these cars because they go on forever, but I've got a mechanic telling me now that this one can't be repaired & I wonder if I'm being jerked around. He replaced the power steering pump last year and it leaked afterward and made low-fluid noise constantly. He traded that pump out for another one a month later and the noise stopped, but not the leak. Now the noise is back in spades, though the reservoir is full. Now he's saying some stuff that I'm not sure I believe. Basically that the leak somehow has to do with the low pressure hose, and he's saying they don't make the part anymore and so there's nothing he can do to replace it. He told me he's put in something to "swell the seals" to try to stop the leak, and that makes no sense to me if it's a hose problem. I think I'm being jerked around & I wonder what you guys think.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I found the P/S return hose on RockAuto; Gates P/N 363630 about $34. Anytime that a part is being replaced for the second time within a month that needs to be questioned. Either the job was botched, the diagnosis was incomplete, (more than one leak) OR low quality parts. Maybe a combination of two or more. Yes, I think you are being "hosed"
It's possible that he isn't capable or willing to properly diagnose and repair the system, he sounds like loading the parts cannon is his specialty. Get a second opinion, it's time to find a new mechanic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found the P/S return hose on RockAuto; Gates P/N 363630 about $34. Anytime that a part is being replaced for the second time within a month that needs to be questioned. Either the job was botched, the diagnosis was incomplete, (more than one leak) OR low quality parts. Maybe a combination of two or more. Yes, I think you are being "hosed"
It's possible that he isn't capable or willing to properly diagnose and repair the system, he sounds like loading the parts cannon is his specialty. Get a second opinion, it's time to find a new mechanic.
Thanks, I think you're right. I just went and picked the car up and told him I'd found the return line as an aftermarket part, and he said something about a cooling line and how I was probably looking at the wrong part, though I only see a pressure hose and a return hose in the parts list. It's a pity, because I've used this shop for more than a decade and their work has been top-notch in the past. Things change, I guess.

·
Administrator
15,112 Posts
That sucks, you do business with someone for a while without getting screwed and then suddenly it goes south. Gotta be particularly annoying for someone that doesn't turn their own wrench

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sucks, you do business with someone for a while without getting screwed and then suddenly it goes south. Gotta be particularly annoying for someone that doesn't turn their own wrench
Well, it is pretty annoying, though I turn wrenches pretty often (sold my '69 big block vette a few years ago to pay for my son's college--miss that thing). But as much as I like these old Tauruses and Sables, I sure as heck don't like working on them. Just no room to work with that sideways transaxle business. After I busted up my knuckles just trying to get a serpentine belt on, I decided to let someone else deal with that grief. I was just wondering if someone here knew something about the power steering & parts availability on these cars that I didn't & felt this mechanic was full of something.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Hi, is the hose attached to the p/s pump as the return line? I got this part for my '99 wagon and sable with vulcan engine, looked up for a 2000 model at rockauto.
From the p/s oil cooler to the p/s pump lower input with hose clamp.

·
Super Moderator
8,123 Posts
If the correct molded hose goes away forever, I am sure you could substitute regular tranny cooler hose and zip tie it to various brackets, etc to keep it out of the way of moving parts, hot exhaust manifolds, etc. If you need a tight radius turn, plumbing fittings from the local hardware store could be spliced into the tranny cooler line.

Reactions: james27613

·
Registered
378 Posts
Must be frustrating to trust and use a shop for 10 years, now seeming to be mislead. Is this the same tech as in the past, or is it someone new? A new or rebuilt power steering pump should not leak. Only other leaks would be the hoses, or a connection. Possibly steering rack. There is a low pressure hose and a high pressure hose. Ford power steering pumps have a reputation for being noisy or whiny. A new pump should be pretty quiet. When I have serviced and changed out the power steering fluid completely the pump and system had air in it and until properly bled sounded like it was failing. I had an old 89 Ranger that the pump would whine upon cold start up and quiet down after warming up some. I am surprised that someone would say the part is not available when it seems like it is readily available aftermarket.

Scott

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
If you use quality parts the pump won't leak and whine. I tried an Autozone pump and spent a whole day to stop the whining and finally gave up. Went to dealer and purchased a MotorCraft pump and installed. Five minutes of bleeding and noise stopped. He doesn't want to do any more work because he is losing money on this job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts