Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How important is it to do this. My car doesnt seem to leak any fluid but it wines until i add alittle bit to it to top it off. My question is that i have a 95 ford taurus with 126000 miles. And the PS fluid is jet black. Is it worth it to have it flushed to improve the wine and also some binding steering issues i seem to be having. Or because its so old it probally wont help the PS pump so not worth the bucks.

Ben

·
Registered
670 Posts
If you want to drain the entire system and refill it with some mercon V you would be doing the right thing.

I myself use the turkey baster method.

Simply grab a couple of cheap 32 oz containers of prestone ps fluid, and start by sucking all the dirty fluid out of the reservoir you can get with the turkey baster and replace with the cheap fluid.

Do this once a week, once every two weeks, every so many hundred of miles, whatever you want until you run all the stuff through the system and it will eventually start to become much cleaner.

Then when you finish your cheap fluid start doing the same thing with a quart of Mercon V or Mobil 1 synthetic ATF until you ran all of it through the system and finish topping it off.

I figure people do go a long way without every changing their PS fluid so the turkey baster method is miles ahead of that with no big worries about air in the system.

I would also like to add that while you have all the dirty fluid out of the reservoir you can likely take a clean shop towel and wipe out lots of dirt from the inside of the resovoir to get some dirt out of the system.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Barely beat ya try our turkey baster method :p
Got to be careful that is a spam post.

While the turkey baster method is easy it is not the most efficient. If you want to flush the system in one shot empty the reservoir and disconnect the return line. Cap off the opening. Put the return line in a bucket. Fill the resevior and then turn on the car and steer it a few time to pull fluid through. You will need a 2nd person to add fluid. Add it till the new stuff comes out. Re-attach the hose fill.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
How important is it to do this. My car doesnt seem to leak any fluid but it wines until i add alittle bit to it to top it off. My question is that i have a 95 ford taurus with 126000 miles. And the PS fluid is jet black. Is it worth it to have it flushed to improve the wine and also some binding steering issues i seem to be having. Or because its so old it probally wont help the PS pump so not worth the bucks.

Ben
Here is a post on how I flushed my system & added a Magnefine filter in the return line.
The flush & filter has stopped pump whine & elimiated an off center "shudder" that had developed over time.

I now flush my P/S systems every 30K miles or so, when I do a tranny fluid filter change & tranny fluid pump out.
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/1520541-post9.html

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess what im basically saying. Is that, i will pay to have ford flush it for me. I live in townhouse complex that allows no (messy) vehicle repairs. This has the potential to be messy so paying a 150 dollar fine vs paying 100 to have the system flushed. IM pretty sure i know what im going to do. My biggest question is that, if the fluid is this far gone, and the system is flushed will that take away most of the wine and give me a crisper feeling when turning.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Maybe call around to a few trusted garages & get some estimates on having the P/S system flushed.

Or maybe you have a friend that'll help you do it at his house for a couple of adult beverages, or a couple of T bone steaks, ect.

It'll only take a couple of qts of fluid, a magnefine filter if you decide to ad one & about an hour of time to set up, flush it, add the filter to the return line after the flush & then clean up.
Most autoparts stores will recycle the old fluid.

Who knows how your system will respond. Mine liked the Seafoam TransTune cleaning & the full fluid pumpout flush & Magnefine filter. Adding the filter seems to have kept the off center shudder at bay so far. It's been about two years since the last flush & adding the Magnefine filter.

Let us know what you do & how it goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts