Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it hard to replace the power retractable radio antenna in the Sables? i need to replace mine soon b/c it sucks only picking up half of the radio stations.

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's actually pretty easy

right in the fender well. 2 bolts and the antenna wrench to get it out.

Have you checked the connector at the RCU and the ground for the antenna?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the motor works, it's just the mast itself it broken. the top half is broken off and what is sticking up, is down into one "section" and doesn't retract down into the fender. but I do hear the motor whirring when I shut the car off

you can see it still sticking up in the pic

·
Registered
150 Posts
I seem to recall you should be able to replace just the mast without having to remove the entire motorized assembly. I just checked the Topic Finder but didn't see anything directly related to mast replacement. Anyone?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
got it fixed! :)

turned out that after I removed the base of the antenna, all I had to do was yank the old mast out. it was slightly bent (aside from being broken) and there was not a plastic tooth cord in it either, so didn't have to dig that out. I inserted the new antenna, and turned the radio off and let the motor pull it in. works great and smooth, and I can now pick up more stations and have a more clear signal!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the fender..... removed the chrome base screw and plastic stanchion (the black base). didn't have to remove anything else, just was able to yank the old mast out and feed in the new one

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
Seems weird..no plastic teeth..wonder how it goes up and down then..did the new one you installed have the plastic teeth on?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
yeah, the new one had the plastic teeth, but the old one never moved.... it was broken towards the top and stuck out of the fender with what was left of the mast compacted down inside the section of mast that was still sticking up out of the fender.... you can see the old mast sticking up in the pic I posted above from the day I brought the car home

1 - 10 of 10 Posts