Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power mirrors on my 2000 SE suddenly died. The driver side is totally non functional and the passenger side will only move horizontally and will not move vertically. I'm assuming that the switch is the issue (I just ordered a new used one off of ebay.) My question regards removal of the old switch. Does removal entail prying the old switch off (like it looks) or does it entail disassembly of the door? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
541 Posts
My guess would be to just pry the switch out and see if it has a plug behind it that you can unplug and replug into your new switch and check the operation before you install it. I have never done this, however I did replace the driver's side power mirror once in '02 taurus and the replacement mirror had plugs behind it so I assume the switch would also have wires& plugs. Hope this helps you.Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yes the switch does have a plug going into it.

It would be a good idea to just remove the door panel and properly disconnect the switch from the backside just because of how it snaps into the door panel. Don't want to risk tearing up the door panel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The power mirrors on my 2000 SE suddenly died. The driver side is totally non functional and the passenger side will only move horizontally and will not move vertically. I'm assuming that the switch is the issue (I just ordered a new used one off of ebay.) My question regards removal of the old switch. Does removal entail prying the old switch off (like it looks) or does it entail disassembly of the door? Thanks in advance.
So much for assuming. Installed new switch and no change. Fuse is fine. Any ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
You could always find out what wires are what and jump the proper ones to test mirror operation via a paper clip and the connector.

·
Registered
294 Posts
someone threw a wendys cup at my drivers mirror when it was parked once, disabled vertical movement of the mirror... never fixed it. probably not ur switch. get a new mirror

1 - 6 of 6 Posts