Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i turn on my defroster (or a/c) i notice my lights dimming. i figure that's normal, but lately when i turn on the defroster or a/c my steering tightens up and the brakes are stiffer and the interior (and exterior) lights are visibly dimmer until i get up to around 55mph. even then, the brakes and steering are stiffer than usual, only the lights seem to brighten back up.

my guess here is battery, since there're no SES lights or battery lights, and I've had alternators go out before so i'm familiar with the warning signs/symptoms. the last time i had the battery checked was like two months ago, and the guy at AZ said it was a little low, but still good.

could it finally be dieing on me, or is there something i'm overlooking? also, the problem has gotten worse since i installed my Xenon Cyberwhite 55/65w headlights. could that be b/c of the extra power draw used to run the lights.

i notice the problem is more pronounced at night with the defroster on than it is in the daytime with the a/c on.

sorry for the long post, and any ideas would be awesome.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok had the battery tested and was told its borderline. probably needs replaced. my question is this: could a bad battery cause all the problems listed above?

thanks.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I don't see how a bad battery would cause your steering to be affected. I would suspect the belt. That is the common factor.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was figuring the power steering pump wasn't getting enough juice, along with the power brakes. the belt wouldn't affect the brakes...andl ike i said, as soon as i turn the defroster off, everything goes back to normal.

the alternator tested fine...perfect working condition. the battery was low. i just don't want to replace it if its not causing my problems.

any ideas?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
The PS is belt driven, the alternator is belt driven. The Power Brakes are vacuum operated.

The defrosters will engage the A/C compressor also belt driven. Maybe a bad belt idler bearing or compressor.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so the battery wouldn't have anything to do with it? i put in new headlights, like i said, and its odd to me that the compressor or something would go out as soon as i put in the brighter lights.

but hey, i wanted ideas...so is there any way to test those parts you mentioned above? and are they expensive to repair?

thanks for the insights. also, the car starts really rough after its sat all night. like, i'll turn the key and it'll start, but it stutters until i hit the gas. i've already replaced the spark plugs and fuel filter, so i don't think its that. i mention this because it also adds to the bad battery idea i have. the battery IS seven years old, and it tested borderline.

after its started in the morning, it runs fine the rest of the day. weird, huh? thanks again for the insight.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If your battery is seven years old, what are you waiting for? It is 3 years past its normal life.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gonna get a new one monday. also did a little testing today.

last night, with headlights and defroster on, car acted up.

today, with headlights off and defroster on, car was fine.

today, with headlights off and a/c on, car was fine.

so the only time it really acts up is at night with the defroster and headlights on. its still starting hard in the mornings, so i'm really inclined towards a battery problem.

shoz123, thanks for all the input. :notworthy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts