Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be beefing up my stereo sometime, and I was wondering if the car would be able to handle the power I want to run with the stock alternator. I have a Pioneer DEH-7600MP deck now, and I want to get a 4 channel amp capable of about 100Wx4 @ 4 ohms to drive my Infinity Kappas. I also have a Rockford 1001bd amp (1000W RMS @ 2 ohm) that I'm going to use to drive 2 Rockford HE2's. I'm also going to be installing a radar detector and some lighting, and was thinking of adding an LCD screen that I could hook a DVD player/PS2 to (which would mean I'd need a power inverter too). Will I need to upgrade the alternator before adding all of this?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Add up all the input load in amps or watts and let us know how much that is. I personally have never seen the 130A alternator put out much more than 60A and it keeps my car running well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how much does the stock alternator put out? Is it 130A?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Jun 18 2004, 10:05 PM
Add up all the input load in amps or watts and let us know how much that is. I personally have never seen the 130A alternator put out much more than 60A and it keeps my car running we;;.
I've load tested mine and it was putting out 125 amps..... :huh:

·
Registered
90 Posts
i dont know much about the technicals, but i got a neon under car kit, like 8 extra big neons inside, my 2 amps, and lot of other crap....you shouldn't face problems but you might want a capacitor (sp) or power cap for the amps....unless you plan on running a secondary battery, but, thats more work than its really worth...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by TaurusRacerZ9@Jun 27 2004, 11:46 PM
i dont know much about the technicals, but i got a neon under car kit, like 8 extra big neons inside, my 2 amps, and lot of other crap....you shouldn't face problems but you might want a capacitor (sp) or power cap for the amps....unless you plan on running a secondary battery, but, thats more work than its really worth...
How many watts are your amps putting out?

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Whereas there is some correlation to the watts an amp puts out to the amperage the amp is drawing, the important fact is what is the fuse rating on the input side of the amp. That is what counts. Not some superfluous hyperbole output rating.......

Forget the caps get bigger wire and a better battery.

Load testing an alternator does not tell you what your car is using. You need a way to measure the alternator output in real time. I have not seen over 60 A on my car. Some with the super fly systems will draw more but it is no where near a constant draw.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, in a case of irony, the alternator has gone out in my car. So, I have to get a new alternator anyway. I've looked at the amplifiers' ratings, and the max current they would both be drawing at once is 165 amps. Even though there isn't a way to measure the actual output of the alternator, I'm pretty sure that the stock 130A wouldn't supply these with the juice they need. I'm gonna go around to the part stores today and see if I can find a bigger alternator.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had no luck in finding a higher output alternator at my local part stores. Does anyone know if one is available that will fit the Duratec?

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Originally posted by 99GBlue@Jul 6 2004, 01:29 PM
Well, in a case of irony, the alternator has gone out in my car. So, I have to get a new alternator anyway. I've looked at the amplifiers' ratings, and the max current they would both be drawing at once is 165 amps. Even though there isn't a way to measure the actual output of the alternator, I'm pretty sure that the stock 130A wouldn't supply these with the juice they need. I'm gonna go around to the part stores today and see if I can find a bigger alternator.
It is highly unlikely you will ever see the max current draw on those amps. Have you ever heard of people blowing input fuses on the amps when just listening to music?

If you are into sound competition that is another thing. If not and if you do use the maximum capabilities of your amps you will soon need to be saving the money for a hearing aid instead of hi output alternators. IMHO

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
Try this site for a high output alternator:

http://verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/door/

I did buy a regular alternator from them for a Contour and it worked fine. Other than that, don't know much else about them.

I agree with the above post though, having that much power turned will just lead to hearing loss, not to mention getting the neighborhood and the possibly the police mad at you. I've never really understood why people have to turn up their stereo's that far up. Have you ever heard of anyone on the street asking you to turn up the volume? Just because you like it, doesn't mean you have to share it with everyone else nor is there anyone else asking you to share it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies thus far everybody. I know I won't have the stereo at max levels constantly, but there are a few sound competitions around here that I was thinking of entering when I got my system finished, and for those, I would need the extra power. What would adding a second battery do? Could I use a dual battery setup to provide that extra power and not worry about draining my primary battery? I was looking on Sound Domain and found this regulator for multiple batteries. I don't really understand what this regulator does for charging both batteries, so could someone try to explain it to me and tell me if this could work for what I plan to use it for?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts