Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on vulcan what would be the best option CAI in fender or K&N panel filter with removed silencer??..keep in mined cost and performance

·
Registered
151 Posts
yeah imo panel filters suck, even the k&n panels do, they just dont last long without recharging, so i did a cone in the wheelwell, the only way to go, make sure u get a decent cone filter, so the perf is at its peak!!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
First things first... you won't get more than 5HP either way. With a CAI, you'll have much better performance on hot days. With the panel filter and saxomocone-free intake, you'll get most of the gains of the CAI, but only when it is cold out. You can fabricate a pretty decent CAI for next to nothing ($5-10 in hardware store parts) and the K&N cone filter is actually cheaper than the drop-in panel filter in most cases. I have instructions for a CAI in my signature--it's for a V8 SHO, so your parts and dimensions will be different, but it gives you a general idea of what it takes to make one.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Jan 26 2004, 06:27 PM
i had the k&n panel filter. than i got bored with it and switched to a k&n cone filter deep into my wheel well. big difference and kewl sound! go with the cone filter.
I agree. The fenderwell CAI made a big difference in how my car performed.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what can i expect..what kind of sound differences?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Jan 26 2004, 07:42 PM
its an intake sound... i can't really describe it. it sounds kewl. i'm sure someone else can explain it for ya!
one word....GRRRRROWL!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol thx. i cant wait till i get it on. this week ill be fabing up the parts then this week end ill be putting it in so ill prop be saying how cool it is on saturday/sunday

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes+Jan 26 2004, 07:47 PM-->QUOTE (Taurussetypes @ Jan 26 2004, 07:47 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-detroit_raver
@Jan 26 2004, 07:42 PM
its an intake sound... i can't really describe it. it sounds kewl. i'm sure someone else can explain it for ya!
one word....GRRRRROWL! [/b]
have you ever heard a crown vic police crusier at WOT????.....thats what it sounds like. Only a little quieter (that the only V8's in my area i hear wide open...
)

·
Registered
156 Posts
On the 3.8, it adds a roar at Wide Open Throttle, and a lower sort of loping sound at idle speeds.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Originally posted by mrcow32@Jan 26 2004, 03:57 PM
Cost wise - the k&n airfilter is like $45 brand new (ouch), but that's what EBay's for. The plastic tubing I got at checker's for $5. It's the crinkle kind that can bend and turn in any direction. The duct tape...well, if you're any man, you already have it, but if you don't, Walmart - $5. I already had mesh wire, but I can't imagine that's very expensive either. Maybe another couple bucks. For that kinda price, I don't think you can complain.
What is checker's? Any website?
I'm looking for a 3inch crinkle plastic tubing. I have take off the whole air intake tubing. I want to connect a crinkle plastic tubing to the air box. I have tried several all kinds of store, but i can't find one.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by detroit_raver@Jan 26 2004, 06:27 PM
i had the k&n panel filter. than i got bored with it and switched to a k&n cone filter deep into my wheel well. big difference and kewl sound! go with the cone filter.
But we know how that one turned out! :lol2:

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by leshan@Oct 27 2004, 02:30 PM
I'm looking for a 3inch crinkle plastic tubing. I have take off the whole air intake tubing. I want to connect a crinkle plastic tubing to the air box. I have tried several all kinds of store, but i can't find one.
The "crinkle tubing" is dryer duct tubing. You can pick it up in the plumbing dept at Home Depot...

JR

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Talk about resurrecting an old post!

I removed my cone filter and reinstalled the K&N panel. It is still a CAI, and it still performs the same. The K&N panel filter is more than enough, but if you must have a cone filter, go for it. Just don't expect any gains because the only difference will be in your perception, not in reality.

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Don't laugh but where the hell is the intake silencer on a Vulcan?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
What gen?

It should be right in the fenderwell next to the battery. It will run from the air box down into the fenderwell, and looks somewhat like a saxamaphone...

JR

1 - 20 of 22 Posts