Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my power antenna on my 2000 taurus wagon. Has anyone done it and if so how do you get the unit out?
Thanks

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Is it dead, or just the mast broken off? You can replace the mast without removing the whole assembly.
Either way, you have to remove the nut on the base on the outside. It has 4 dent/notch looking depressions in it. Stick the tips of a pair of needle-nose pliers into 2 opposite notches and you can unscrew this nut. The rest unbolts from inside the trunk. There are spanner wrenches available for the outside nut. Some auto parts stores carry a "Radio Service Kit" that comes with said "antenna wrenches".

Amazon.com: CTA Tools A555 Radio/Antenna Service Kit: Home Improvement

Notice our DIN keys for radio bezel removal are in there too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Danhasenauer,

Thanks for responding. The motor works but the antenna doesn't go up or down. From everything I have read I still need to remove the motor even if I just want to replace the antenna with a new one. Right? There could be remnents of the plastic pig tail from the old antenna inside the motor housing.
Removing the motor assembly appears to be difficult and time consuming. It appears that I need to remove the radio component that is also located in the rear panel behind the spare. The room below where these two items slip down and out seem to be very limited. Is there a trick to getting both the radio component and antenna out easily?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Start with the easy part, remove the mast and see if the plastic is broken off or if the "teeth" are just worn off.
You have to remove the RCU "radio component" first to get to the power antenna housing. All the cables to it unplug after you push down on the "key" part of the connector that holds it in. IIRC, the RCU is on a plate that is mounted to studs. Remove the nuts on the studs, and the whole plate lifts out. The antenna housing is held in with 3 nuts (or screws?), then it comes out. Need good lighting, heat is nice too, to do this job. Be careful not to break cold plastic connectors and don't drop your fasteners, you'll be OK.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
The antena mast on the wagon finally died recently. I'll be working on this at the first sign of spring so i'll be watching all the power antena threads till then..LOL

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Be sure to cover the plastic around the mast nut with some layers of tape...to prevent scratching the plastic up and your paint if the needle nose plyers slip. Harbor Freight used to sell a cool tool that was specifically for power antennas. And yea like Dan said, remove the mast nut, hit the power. If all of it comes out, great! If not, then delve in. Unfortunately, most tend to have the plastic broken off inside.

For the wagon, you can leave the RCU connect. The antenna has 3 bolts just like Dan said. 2 phillips head screws and 1 10mm bolt iirc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bull Geek
In the well is a support for the spare, does this need to be removed to take out the RCU and antenna? What is ...bolt iirc?
If I have delve in, is getting into the motor to rethread a new mast straight forward or do I need to be aware of some pitfalls? I have never tackled this before.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hm good point! Yes, you will need to remove the spare out of the way. The RCU is not going to cause issues with removing the antenna, they are about a foot apart from one another.

Getting into the motor ain't bad at all. Just a few Phillips head screws and you can have it apart in a few minutes. Clean out old grease, apply new grease, and remove any broken plastic chord from the old mast.

Here are some pictures from when I took my antenna apart:

When you are ready to install the new mast, just line the teeth on the mast the right way, hit the power button on the radio and feed it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well project done, radio back in action! As a matter of fact it was a simple fix and only took about an hour. The plastic pigtail had broken half way down from the masthead which meant that the motor had to come out. Not difficult to remove. Actually only 2 bolts hold it in the fender well. Taking the motor apart, cleaning it and putting it back together took the most time. The new mast head went in with no trouble.
Thanks for the help!
Oh by the way I need to adjust the cable on the emergency brake light. It keeps flickering on and off. Can this be done without putting the car on a lift and if so where is the adjustment made?

·
Registered
22,585 Posts
^ Try spraying the plunger switch up above the e-brake pedal on its arm first with wd-40 before a cable adjustment. Also, if you have rear drums, might manually adjust (tighten) the shoes via the star wheel adjuster. Lastly, iirc, theres a procedure for the e-brake cable adjustment in a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual. Dont remember it off the top of my head. Sorry.

·
Registered
22,585 Posts
^ Iirc, it involves the adj. turnbuckle under the drivers door which is always seized up. Major pita even with pb-blaster!

·
Registered
7 Posts
How is the antenna motor removed? By removing the bolts, and wiggling it out the bottom of the fender well? It looks like it is completely boxed in by sheet metal, that is tack-welded in place. '96 Taurus Wagon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I read that tutorial. But when I go to work on it, it looks like it's boxed in, and I don't see a simple way to remove the motor, once the screws and bolt are removed. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. But how do you get the assembly out of the mounting box? Does it wiggle downward? I don't see any other way to remove the motor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks. But how do you get the assembly out of the mounting box? Does it wiggle downward? I don't see any other way to remove the motor.

·
Registered
9,675 Posts
What is the pic comes out in one piece. Once the nut on top of the mast is off, the bolts out and it drops down. Wires need some care. I pulled this one at the JY.
-chart-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks! Coming out the bottom seemed the only way. I will still have to cut off the antenna mast, as it is fully extended, and the motor just sits there and makes a groaning sound.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts