Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I read through various posts here about people installing a remote switch to disable the power antenna (in this case a 96 LX with JBL sound system), and I understand this can be done via the wiring harnesses in the RCU, and I have the wiring diagrams. What I'm wondering, can I run a switch from one of the wires at the back of the head unit to control the power antenna? Or can it only come out of the RCU to antenna wiring?

Just to make it clear, when the radio is on, I want to control whether or not the antenna goes up. When the car is off, or the radio is off, I want the antenna down.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
QUOTE (TempoGT @ Mar 16 2009, 11:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709472
Hey everyone,

I read through various posts here about people installing a remote switch to disable the power antenna (in this case a 96 LX with JBL sound system), and I understand this can be done via the wiring harnesses in the RCU, and I have the wiring diagrams. What I'm wondering, can I run a switch from one of the wires at the back of the head unit to control the power antenna? Or can it only come out of the RCU to antenna wiring?

Just to make it clear, when the radio is on, I want to control whether or not the antenna goes up. When the car is off, or the radio is off, I want the antenna down.

Thanks,

Dave[/b]
I think you can do it from behind the head unit.... Im not 100 percent though....

If you do try it out let me know how you did it cause I want to do this as well...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Andrew L @ Mar 17 2009, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709696
QUOTE (TempoGT @ Mar 16 2009, 11:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709472
Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Dave[/b]
I think you can do it from behind the head unit.... Im not 100 percent though....

If you do try it out let me know how you did it cause I want to do this as well...
[/b][/quote]

Looking at the wiring, it seems that there are 2 fuses in the fuse box that lead to the antenna in the back, and I'm figuring that if I put a switch in line with one of those, it should work. I'm going to pull one at a time and test the antenna to see what happens. For the 96, its fuses 8 and 22. It might be the same as yours.

Incidentally, Ford uses the same fuse box in the Ford GT. B)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
It might be the same... when I put my power antenna in I had to splice wires since mine came with a mast stock. I also added a JBL system to mine.

just remember black is ground, so if 2 wires are going to it and one of them is black then you would want to try the other wire

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
It's not that simple; The "power" wire you are looking at actually powers the motor. The wire you want is the signal wire from the RCU. If you shut off the power wire to the antenna, it will simply stay in whatever position it was in when you shut it off. If power is interrupted to the signal lead, the antenna motor will automatically retract the antenna.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (silvapain @ Mar 17 2009, 06:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709776
It's not that simple; The "power" wire you are looking at actually powers the motor. The wire you want is the signal wire from the RCU. If you shut off the power wire to the antenna, it will simply stay in whatever position it was in when you shut it off. If power is interrupted to the signal lead, the antenna motor will automatically retract the antenna.[/b]
I know, which was the purpose of my original question: is there a signal wire coming from the head unit anywhere? Or is it only from the RCU?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts