Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i posted a few days ago that i just installed a power antenna on my car. The antenna works just fine, it goes all the way up and all the way down. Iv noticed that after it gets all the way up or down it makes a clunk-clunk-clunk noise. It makes the noise about seven times before it stops. I realise that what its doing is making sure that the antenna is not stuck at a certain level so it gives it a couple of extra turns to make sure it is either fully deployed or stowed. My concern is that its a little laud. The clunk noise is laud enough to be heard inside the car, and from about 20 feet away outside the car. Is there a way that i can correct this? Maybe take the unit apart and grease the hell out of it? Anybody else ever noticed this?

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I added a power antenna on my G4 sedan and about a week after installing it i noticed the same sound. Mine isn't quite as loud as yours though it would seem. I can only hear mine making the noise inside the car and standing next to it without traffic noise. So far I haven't figured out a way to make it stop, but like you said it works just fine, I guess it hasn't annoyed me enough to motivate me to look a little more into it. But definitly try greasing it, NOT WD-40 because that will only ruin the grease already in there. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I have off work Monday, I can try lookin at it then. If I found somethin out I'll let yall know. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I added a power antenna on my G4 sedan and about a week after installing it i noticed the same sound. Mine isn't quite as loud as yours though it would seem. I can only hear mine making the noise inside the car and standing next to it without traffic noise. So far I haven't figured out a way to make it stop, but like you said it works just fine, I guess it hasn't annoyed me enough to motivate me to look a little more into it. But definitly try greasing it, NOT WD-40 because that will only ruin the grease already in there. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I have off work Monday, I can try lookin at it then. If I found somethin out I'll let yall know. ;)
[/b]
How did you mount/install the antenna? Did you have to drill any holes?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
How did you mount/install the antenna? Did you have to drill any holes?
[/b][/quote]

no need to drill any holes. you just remove the original antenna via the wheel well. there is one small screw holding the old antenna in. you remove that screw and the antenna falls out. you also have to unscrew the metal ring at the base of the antenna. you then put the power antenna in the same way and it is held in place with the same little screw. it took me more time to jack the car up, remove the wheel and plastic wheel shroud than it did to actually install the antenna.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If it's a used antenna, the antenna mast could be damaged. The metal mast has a long, narrow, flexible plastic shaft attached to it, with teeth on one side. This is wound up inside the motor when the antenna is retracted, and pushed up into the shaft to extend the antenna. If any of the teeth are broken or stripped, as may be on yours, it'll do that clunk thing as the gear skips on the teeth.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's a used antenna, the antenna mast could be damaged. The metal mast has a long, narrow, flexible plastic shaft attached to it, with teeth on one side. This is wound up inside the motor when the antenna is retracted, and pushed up into the shaft to extend the antenna. If any of the teeth are broken or stripped, as may be on yours, it'll do that clunk thing as the gear skips on the teeth.
[/b]

well you were right, i do appear to have some rounded off teeth on the white "wire" that makes the antenna go up and down. I did however encounter a problem when trying to get the "wire" to go back into the unit, i had to pull the fender well back off and pull the whole unit back out and take it apart. It was actually kind of cool to see how it works, and when i got it back together it didnt do the clunk clunk clunk thing. I will prolly have to get a new antenna rod and "wire" but untill i do i guess i can just live with the noise knowing that when i do get the part, it will be an easy fix.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

well you were right, i do appear to have some rounded off teeth on the white "wire" that makes the antenna go up and down. I did however encounter a problem when trying to get the "wire" to go back into the unit, i had to pull the fender well back off and pull the whole unit back out and take it apart. It was actually kind of cool to see how it works, and when i got it back together it didnt do the clunk clunk clunk thing. I will prolly have to get a new antenna rod and "wire" but untill i do i guess i can just live with the noise knowing that when i do get the part, it will be an easy fix.
[/b][/quote]
Actually to put it back in, just turn the radio on and wait for the motor to stop. Then stuff the white part down into the hole as much as you can without forcing it, and have someone turn the radio off. This will start the motor retracting the antenna, and you should be able to keep feeding the rest of the cable in until it's all the way in.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
Actually to put it back in, just turn the radio on and wait for the motor to stop. Then stuff the white part down into the hole as much as you can without forcing it, and have someone turn the radio off. This will start the motor retracting the antenna, and you should be able to keep feeding the rest of the cable in until it's all the way in.
[/b][/quote]

the problem i was having is that since the white part was so curved that it would slide against the side of the tube all the way down until it hits the lip of a small hole at the very bottom before it can go down to the cog. after taking it apart i could visually see why it wasnt working for me and there was no way it was gonna work without taking it apart, but no biggie its all better now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts