Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have replaced the mast on my power antenna as well as the drive motor and the control module at different times for different reasons. Those all seemed pretty straight-forward even if not exactly simple.

Now, when the antenna gets to its full height I get a fast grinding noise from the antenna motor that doesn't stop until I turn the radio back off and the antenna retracts. It goes down just fine and doesn't make any other sounds out of the norm.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem or how to fix it? (I don't really want to pull the module, because it is a PITA to get out and to put back in.)

·
Registered
10,926 Posts
Power Ant

Okay, so I have replaced the mast on my power antenna as well as the drive motor and the control module at different times for different reasons. Those all seemed pretty straight-forward even if not exactly simple.

Now, when the antenna gets to its full height I get a fast grinding noise from the antenna motor that doesn't stop until I turn the radio back off and the antenna retracts. It goes down just fine and doesn't make any other sounds out of the norm.

Any thoughts on what could be the problem or how to fix it? (I don't really want to pull the module, because it is a PITA to get out and to put back in.)
I pulled the wire on mine, and put a regular fixed antenna in the hole. Works just fine. Mine got broke off.

-chart-

·
Registered
17 Posts
The grinding noise is probably the internal clutch slipping to protect the motor. It sounds like the "up" limit switch is not doing its thing and keeping the motor running even tho the antenna is fully extended.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The grinding noise is probably the internal clutch slipping to protect the motor. It sounds like the "up" limit switch is not doing its thing and keeping the motor running even tho the antenna is fully extended.
That would make sense as I would expect it to shear part of the gear/string thing inside the antenna otherwise.

Personally, I think that it could be a bad ground or my battery going out. Low voltages do funny things to motor commutators and limit circuitry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Indeed it does , check voltage at battery with car off and running and compare results. I also agree it is very likely a limit switch related problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts