Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening cats,

I've been looking everywhere and thought I might ask you all.

I'm trying to replace the power antenna mast for my 1996 Mercury Sable Wagon. I was able to get all the external bolts and coverings off, but was still unable to pull the mast from the car. The instructions that came with the replacement antenna said it should just be that easy: pull the old one out, slide the new one back in.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to get inside the antenna assembly from the interior, so I removed the panel, the spare tire, the jack, etc. and got a flashlight in there to check it out but I can't get close enough to actually work with it.

Is there an access panel in the metal I'm not seeing? Which screws or bolts should I remove to separate the interior steel from the hull? There are no diagrams for this anywhere that I can see.

Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
As I seem to recall there are 3 bolts holding the antenna inside the car. Don't be afraid to snap the mast off if you have a new one. Twist, pull, pry, push.

There is one lower nut that attaches to the body, like a 10mm. Then about 3 inches above that (if that), there are two phillips head screws.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Might have to remove the antenna mast retainer

Evening cats,

I'm trying to replace the power antenna mast for my 1996 Mercury Sable Wagon. I was able to get all the external bolts and coverings off, but was still unable to pull the mast from the car. The instructions that came with the replacement antenna said it should just be that easy: pull the old one out, slide the new one back in.

I have a feeling I'm going to need to get inside the antenna assembly from the interior, so I removed the panel, the spare tire, the jack, etc. and got a flashlight in there to check it out but I can't get close enough to actually work with it.

Is there an access panel in the metal I'm not seeing? Which screws or bolts should I remove to separate the interior steel from the hull? There are no diagrams for this anywhere that I can see.

the antenna on mine was jammed in the bushing and once I got the antenna to feed out I was fine.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
That isn't how you remove a power antenna on a 96 Mercury. The antenna is on the back 1/4 panel, driver's side.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I am resurecting this old post to see if I can get some insight from one of the audio gurus.

I am trying to do what the OP has stated. I could remove the retaining nut and the insert around the mast. No problem. The mast is stuck in the up position.

With the radio on I am trying to pull the mast straight out and it is not going anywhere. I dont want to break anything on the inside of the unit. I am thinking of breaking it off on the lower section and putting some vise grips on it with a dowel on the inside to prevent it from crushing. Them beat it with a hammer. Is that safe. I don't want to do more damage than good.
Or
Should I break it off as low as I can and then remove the assembly from the spare tire well?

Insight appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
Get the old one off any way you can without damaging the unit, cut it off or whatever
.. The best way to replace the antenna is to remove the entire unit from the car, take it inside, take apart the unit (there's a how to in the topic finder), clean out any broken pieces then reinstall it. Get your new power mast replacement, have someone turn on the radio, then while you're holding the new mast replacement, have them turn off the radio. You then quickly put the plastic end in the antenna hole and it will "catch" the new one and draw it inside.
That's how I first replaced one of mine.

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Evening cats,

Pic of G-4 antenna. It is held in place by one nut, one bolt, and the outside flange around the mast.

However, mine sometimes do not go down in cold weather. They get water in and it freezes. Noticed mine today, about half way down but from experience I know it will be OK. My third wagon.:lol2:
Pic is my spare as I found a good one at the JY. My previous wagon '01 got it wiped out at a car wash. Daughter was driving it. Duhhhh. Not easy to find a good one at the JY.

-chart-

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
Thanks guys for the help. I am taking it on tomorrow.
Worth note: the electronics is hot at all times. A signal for up/down will run the motor until it hits resistance and stalls, that stall current tells the module it is at the end of it's travel. If it sticks, it senses that is it is done and it stops. Water gets in and freezes the mast and can cause it to stop. there is a drain at the bottom of the gearcase. I have had 3 wagons with this, all freeze and stall in the coldest of times. All get OK when it gets warm enough. No harm. I do not think the drain is attached to a hose but just drips into the spare tire well.

-chart-

·
Registered
266 Posts
Evening cats,

I've got an 02 wagon, removing the antenna assembly from the left rear fender was pretty easy. Is that what you are trying to do?

To replace the mast and the feeder material, you need to be able to lay it out on a table or the kitchen counter. Then removing the cover on the housing is pretty easy. You can't just pull the mast and the remains of the feeder out and then feed the new one in, there will be a remnant of the feeder left inside the housing.

I did mine last spring. It works well. I'd add some silicone grease or dielectric grease to the wheel and feeder element (if I lived in a cold climate.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts