Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about getting a Harbor freight powdercoating system. and was wondering if 1. it was any good and 2. If i wanted to coat my calipers and exhaust, would i need high temp powder?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The Harbor Freight system looks pretty cheaply made to me. Check out Eastwood's Hot Coat system. It's a little bit more expensive, but for $140, you get the silicon plugs, two 8oz containers of powder, and a ton of other stuff.

Otherwise, they have a $99 kit that doesn't include any of the extra bits, it's just the gun and power supply.

Do you have a spare oven to be able to heat the stuff? You can't use your house oven, as the powder is extremely toxic. You also need to use an electric oven, because a gas oven can light the powder on fire.

As for the calipers and exhaust, you'll never get a big enough oven to do your exhaust. For the calipers, you should get high temp paint, and before you coat them, disassemble them, clean them (preferably media blast, then a chemical clean) and bake them at 400 degrees for roughly a half hour. This will force all the impurities in the metal to the surface. Then, media blast them again, use a chemical cleaner, THEN you'll be ready to powdercoat.

JR

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah bollakcs thats alot of effort.

i may not do it simply because its soo time consuming.
i was thinking of picking up a junkyard stove, or freecycle.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
It's really not that time consuming, as most of the steps can be done, then walked away from. It might take 30 minutes to bake out the impurities, but you can do other stuff while that's happening.

JR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts