Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll Start...

Here is the first car I've ever had--1999 Grand Am SE1. I got it when i turned 16 years old... it lasted 1 week and it had 800 miles on it when i totaled it...(and NO, mommy and daddy didnt pay for it)

Heres what i replaced it with two weeks after my wreck... same as the first, except silver.

After i got sick of cars for a while, i bought a 1999 Jeep Cherokee (in 2002)

And, the Jeep just didnt do it for me.. so i joined the club w/ the rest of you guys.. in August 2003, i bought my current car.. 2003 Taurus Sport

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
All the car's I've owned or rode in as a family member:

196something Ford Galaxie (frame rusted away)
197something Ford Maverick (rusted through the floorboards)
197something Ford Fairmont (with three working cylinders)
1990 Ford Taurus (my aunt's car, but we took it on a few vacations with her)
1986 Mercury Sable (May she rust in pieces, the Vulcan Powah was alive and well when we buried her)
1992 Mercury Sable (It keeps going and going and going, VULCAN POWAH!)
1991 Ford Taurus (mine) (bought @ 145k miles, now @ 172k miles, the beast won't die
)
1998 Ford Taurus SHO (mine) (Cams welded, so it can keep going and going... plus a 100k mile warranty
)

... I guess you could say we're a Ford family

...sorry about adding cars I don't actually own myself

·
Registered
549 Posts

1979 Monte Carlo
1985 Chevy Celebrity (first and only car my parents bought new)
1985 Toyota Tercel
1986 Dodge 600 Turbo Convertible (grandparents' car, now my toy)
1989 Chevy S-10 Blazer (my favorite, learned to drive in it mostly)
1993 Taurus (we bought it in '95, became mine in 2000)
1996 Chevy Blazer
1999 Taurus (parents bought in 2000, became mine in 2003)
2000 Taurus (parents bought in 2003)

M

·
0 Posts
i've had bad luck when it comes to cars...

okay, my every first car *which i wish i would have kept* was a 1990 Dodge Shadow ES, i loved that car. Sold it for 100 bucks when i decided not to fit the cracked head gasket and radiator...sold it with the engine in the trunk

Mine was on the right

My next car was my POS. **Sorry james, i HATED this car** My dad gave it to me when my shadow stopped working...when i sold it for 800 bucks (after 8 LONG months of driving it) i was actually kinda sad to see it go...but i moved on!

My next car, lasted me about 8 days...when the trans went...decided i didn't want to fix it. a 1996 grand am gt

After that i got my Uncles 1998 Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition...i liked it...but i don't know why, but i gave it back to him about after 4 months of driving it, cause...

I fell in love...

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
We've owned the following:

78 Ford truck
78 Lincoln Towncar (Big Pimpin)
79 Lincoln Mk 5 (Collector's Series)
89 Mercury Sable GS
All good vehicles. Wish we still had them all. Lots of memories.

·
Registered
233 Posts

88 Volvo 740GL (my parents first Australian car)
91 Toyota Hiace (we still have it for work)
92 BMW 520i (e34)
96 BMW 523i (e39, one of the first ones to reach Australia I think)
00 BMW 530i (e39 series 2)
00 BMW 318i (when our 530i got smashed up good by some 18 year old who feel asleep at the wheel we got this thinggy, slow as all hell)
97 Ford Taurus Ghia (my car wooohoo, and its fixed after all the transmission drama)
02 BMW 320i Sport (Uncles gone away for 3 months and left me incharge of his car, not that I drive it much since I need a parking permit at Uni and its registered to my car)
04 BMW 530i (e60- Parents current car - great fun to drive)

Julian

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by wozza@Mar 17 2004, 01:38 AM

88 Volvo 740GL (my parents first Australian car)
91 Toyota Hiace (we still have it for work)
92 BMW 520i (e34)
96 BMW 523i (e39, one of the first ones to reach Australia I think)
00 BMW 530i (e39 series 2)
00 BMW 318i (when our 530i got smashed up good by some 18 year old who feel asleep at the wheel we got this thinggy, slow as all hell)
97 Ford Taurus Ghia (my car wooohoo, and its fixed after all the transmission drama)
02 BMW 320i Sport (Uncles gone away for 3 months and left me incharge of his car, not that I drive it much since I need a parking permit at Uni and its registered to my car)
04 BMW 530i (e60- Parents current car - great fun to drive)

Julian
WOw, a beemer family
i love beemers :drool:

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by MySablesNameIsBruce@Mar 17 2004, 01:22 AM
i've had bad luck when it comes to cars...

okay, my every first car *which i wish i would have kept* was a 1990 Dodge Shadow ES, i loved that car. Sold it for 100 bucks when i decided not to fit the cracked head gasket and radiator...sold it with the engine in the trunk

Mine was on the right

My next car was my POS. **Sorry james, i HATED this car** My dad gave it to me when my shadow stopped working...when i sold it for 800 bucks (after 8 LONG months of driving it) i was actually kinda sad to see it go...but i moved on!

My next car, lasted me about 8 days...when the trans went...decided i didn't want to fix it. a 1996 grand am gt

After that i got my Uncles 1998 Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition...i liked it...but i don't know why, but i gave it back to him about after 4 months of driving it, cause...

I fell in love...
You have me beat... 5 cars... i need another one to catch up!!!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
1993 Pontiac Bonneville LE (not actual pic, but same color & wheels)
3.8L V6 & 4 speed auto trans
165hp/200tq

2000 Taurus SES
24V Duratec & AX4N
200hp/200tq

1993 Ford Probe GT (again not actual pic, but same car)
2.5L V6 w/5 speed manual tranny
165hp/160tq

1994 Ford Mustang GT
5.0L V8 w/5 speed manual tranny
215hp/285tq (now like 260hp/330tq)

2003 Acura CL Type-S
3.2L V6 w/6 speed manual tranny
260hp/230tq

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think I'll be different and list the cars that I dove and in the process caused more than $700 worth of mechanical damage to. Some of these cars may or may not be mine. On top of that, some of the cars may or may not have been resurected.

1990 Mercury Sable - Used to be mom's car, blew the tranny in 8 months

1989 Hyundai Excel - I beat the snot out of that car. I would put the car in reverse, nail the gas then slam it into drive. The 82 horsepower and <100 ft/lbs of torque stil couldn't spin the tires. Eventually I lost my forward gears.

2000 Ford Explorer - Mom's car, somehow I managed to kill the 4WD Low setting so that doesn't work for some reason. It used to.

1990 Mercury Sable - Totaled it. Smashed into a Saturn the day after I got the tranny rebuilt. Sable - 1, Saturn - 0.

1988 Cadillac Eldorado - My friend's car. On the way to the tranny shop, drove the car a total of 10 feet before I blew the O-rings and second gear. Third gear was already gone.

I owned the Sable and the Excel. Still have the Sable.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
1972 Ford Torino w/ 351W engine, originally a miserable green. I had it painted black. It was stolen. I recovered it stripped and then sold it and bought:

1973 Datsun (Nissan) 240Z. Silver. Converted the carburetors back to the 72 version. Fun to work on, but never could get it running great. Traded it for:

1984 Camaro Z28 (5L 5 speed). It came from dealer with custom tuning and wheels. That car was great (I should have kept it.) Went through several sets of expensive Goodyear tires. Sold it and bought:

198x Fiat Spyder 2000. British racing green with tan interior. I spent endless time working on that car (you have no choice with a Fiat.) It was tremendous fun to drive, but a pain in the winter since that was my only car. During Denver's surprise rain showers I very quickly learning how to: stop at a stoplight, reach over my shoulder, grab the hand on the top and put it back up. I ran it through an irreversible compression algorithm and sold it for scrap.

1982 DeLorean. Silver (like what other color is stainless steel
) Sadly, I did not get the optional flux capacitor package. I owned the car in 1985 when Back to the Future came out ;D It got plenty of looks everywhere I went, but was actually completely unexciting to drive. I had this one overlapping the Fiat and the following car:

1980 Datsun 310 Hatchback. Gold. This was actually a spare car my father had. It used to be a family car, then my younger brother drove it until he rolled it. Amazingly, the insurance company paid to weld on a new roof, rather the total it. After crushing the Fiat, I started driving this as a temporary measure until I could find something else. It turned into a permanent thing. On that car the half-shafts are actually two piece units with the halves joined by a big rubber coupler. One day, that coupler separated leaving my with the driveshaft halves banging around destroying the oil pan and shift rods. We put on a new shaft, pan and unbent the shift rods. Continued to drive that until the engine went. Sold it for $50 which I gave to my father, since it was his car to begin with.

1978 Ferrari 308 GTB. Red (they come in other colors?) While I was driving the 310, I sold the DeLorean to by the car of my dreams. It's the carbureted version with 4 dual throat weber units. I still have it, but unlike the Sable, never work on it. That is not to say it doesn't break (it always breaks) but I let the Ferrari stealership work on it. It is waiting for me to charge it's dead battery.

1985 Chevrolet Celebrity. Army green. It looked like a motor pool car. I was tired of "cool" cars at this point and just wanted a sedan I could drive with no worries. I bought it from a place I used to work. I babied it for several years and it paid me back by serving me up with a broken rod
Traded it for:

1996 Sable LS. Pacific Green. Ta da. Here we are in the present.

J

·
0 Posts
My first car:

1994 Eagle Summit Esi? (small sedan) w/ the 16v 1.8L 4 banger - pretty peppy little rice burner

Second car:

1999 Taurus SE Vulcan - purchased in August 2002 - aside from heater problems (and eventually tranny problems) it ran great and served me well. Got rid of it on August 10th of 2003 @ over 100k miles(because I didn't want to deal with the tranny problems).

Third Car:

My current 2001 Taurus SES Vulcan - put well over 20k miles on her since August 10th 2003 and she's still going strong. The only problem I've had is the right side of my tach doesn't light up anymore at night.
I'm ignoring that until I get brave and put some of the Euro gauges or whatever you call them in.

Fourth Car:

An MTX SHO.... coming soon (by the end of the summer) :uptosumpn:

Might as well list my parent's cars... (starting from where I remember)
My mom's cars:
Late 80's Mazda 626 - she loved this car (it had really cool oscillating front air vents)
1992? Saturn SL1 - not bad
1996 Saturn SL2, fully loaded - very good car, nice and fun (had a performance button by the floor shifter, that was fun
)
2000 Saturn LS2, fully loaded - POS - fell apart before 35k miles - wheel bearings went out, had engine problems, interior was falling apart - rattly as all hell
2003 Saturn VUE, a few options - way underpowered, not quite a POS, but not very good - she's had it in for warranty work at least 8 times since she got it. She got a sweet deal on it plus got 0% financing to make up for her LS falling apart - but this thing will be her last Saturn - She said her next car is going to be a Ford 500.

My dad's vehicles:
88? Ford Ranger
92? Chevy 1500 - WTF? Why??
94 Ford F-250 5.8L? V8 - needed something to pull a 33ft camper - dual gas tanks and everything, this thing was a beast! Didn't have a single problem with this
97 F-150 - I6 - 4.9L? This was a really good truck, never had a problem. got this because he no longer needed the F-250 because we put our camper in a permanent spot at a campground, so no more towing needed
2001 - F-250 5.4L Triton V8 - Awesome truck! Still used to tow a 30ft 5th wheel camper w/ a big slide-out - this camper weighs over 11k lbs and this truck pulls it like there's nothing to it.
47k trouble free miles *knocks on wood* I LOVE Ford Trucks!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ok, I've had the following cars:

1992 Mercury Sable LS "Snoopy"

That's it. I've had that car for almost 4 years now and I will never sell it. In fact when I get enough money I'm gonna have it fully restored to original factory condition. I LOVE MY CAR.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Well, I learned to drive in my dad's 1986 Ford LTD. We had that car for about 13 years untill my Dad bought his 97 Taurus in early '99. Here's about what it looked like:

My first car was actually a 1987 Mazda 323 LX sedan. Power Windows, Sun roof, and a little four banger of an engine. I bought it at around 125K miles and sold it with about 132K. I drove it near the end of my senior year of highschool (1998) to early 2000 when I bought my new Taurus (April 1, 2000). I ended up selling it via eBay to someone in Kansas or Tennessee or something for like $950. They took a train out here and drove it back. Said they had to replace the serpentine belt on the way back. I wen through two of those belts and an alternator while I owned the car.

So I started a new job in 1 January 2000 and got my first new car on April 1, 2000. I had ordered it at the dealership in March. It was so exciting to do that for the first time, but I don't think I'll do that again unless I have money I can't help but get rid of.

Sorry, no real pictures of the LTD. Attached is a pic of the 323 though.

-Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
out with the Old, in with the new. here's another picture with my new Taurus in the background. That's my dad's '97 on the left side too.

-Dan

Attachments

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Originally posted by SableOHC@Mar 17 2004, 09:00 AM
198x Fiat Spyder 2000. British racing green with tan interior. I spent endless time working on that car (you have no choice with a Fiat.)
Fiat = "Fix It Again Tony"

Also in the family we have a 1999 GMC Safari full sized Van. Unfortunatly the RWD version, not the 4WD one. My sister has a 1995ish Saturn SL1 sedan. My dad just bought a 2003 Nissan Altima last year. It's the 4 banger model. Kinda surprised he got that kind. I think he's driving it until my sister Jane goes to a 4 yr college, then he's driving the Taurus again and she'll be using the Altima to get to school and back.

We also had some old station wagon when I was young. I don't even remember what it was, but it had the wood paneling and all.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Cars I've owned:

1991 Chevrolet Cavalier - POS
2000 Taurus SE

Family Cars that I've driven or used:
1992 Chevrolet G20 3/4 ton full size van (Mark III conversion) - Boat towing
1995 BMW 525i - We had it for about 3 years, best car i've ever driven
1998 Buick Regal LS - Formerly my dads car, now my little brothers
2000 Buick Park Avenue (fully loaded) - only had it for 3 months, huge car
2002 Chevrolet Impala - Dad's current car, formerly Mom's car
2004 Toyota Camry - Mom's current car

·
Registered
359 Posts
Let's see...in the order that I drove them

1984 Monte Carlo... I don't remember the trim, but it had T-tops and power everything. (rod knocking, about 86K miles)

1990 Chevy Lumina Euro 3.1 4-door (traded)

1994 Chevy Cavalier (traded, some engine problems @ about 97K miles.)

1993 Ford Mustang LX Hatchback (traded)

2001 Mazda 626 (currently own)

1999 Ford Explorer Sport 4WD (I loved that truck... had to trade because of mileage
)

2000 Ford Taurus SE-SVG (currently own)

·
Registered
37 Posts
1984 Buick Somerset ( 4cyl, 5spd)

1991 Ford Thunderbird

1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse

1990 Ford Mustang 5.0 ( had to have a stick)

1996 Jeep Cherokee

1984 Cadillac Eldorado

1999 Dodge Intrepid

currently:

2001 Ford Taurus SES

1 - 20 of 139 Posts