Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 SE 3.0 w/84,800 miles. No CEL codes. Dealer baffled just giving me recommendations for more money, no answers. Several different things are randomly happening. When driving in stop and go traffic, (speeds slower than 20mph) the car sometimes start jerking slightly then the engine dies. Stop, put in park, start it up and everything fine. Also in traffic, when downshifting, the RPM goes up. One morning, started car, idling about 700, shifted to R, left foot off brake and the car shot out of the garage fast. Even with foot on brake, RPM's 2200+. In general say the last 5,000 miles driven, the tranny is taking longer to shift each time at a higher RPM. Any recommendations. I'm not mechanically inclined, so I do not know if these are all tranny related or not. Should I take to Tranny shop because dealership was no help.

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
^^^^ +1

Also, what, if anything, has the dealer done so far?

Has the tranny been properly maintained (ATF change every 25 to 30K miles, filter changed AT LEAST once in the cars life)?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bought the car at 54,000. Had the fluid and filter changed at that time. Before that who knows. All the dealer told me no codes. Test drove and couldn't recreate any issues that I was having.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
this is a long shot. im think maybe not trans. first,,, test battery and alt. low voltage causes the bull to do weird things.
second... im thinking tps or tb sticking,
i know it sounds weird. maybe someone will show up and say something different and why i am wrong. but with the issues you are having i do not think its the trans.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'm with Bigdogg, a trans issus won't cuase the car to suddenly idle at 2200 RPM. I would also look at the IAC, Ford has had trouble with these sticking for a long time.

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
My inclination is that it might have something to do with the throttle body. Maybe even a stuck cable. Either the throttle isn't closing fully, the IAC is stuck open, or your TPS is sending out wacky readings. It's easy enough to clean the throttle and the IAC valve. It should also be easy to hook up a scan tool or a voltmeter to check the TPS as well.

Tranny might be shifting later if it thinks you are stepping on the gas pedal more than you are (bad TPS). The computer wouldn't know the difference, which might explain the lack of codes.

2200+ rpm in gear almost has to be throttle related. How are the fuel trims?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
My inclination is that it might have something to do with the throttle body. Maybe even a stuck cable. Either the throttle isn't closing fully, the IAC is stuck open, or your TPS is sending out wacky readings. It's easy enough to clean the throttle and the IAC valve. It should also be easy to hook up a scan tool or a voltmeter to check the TPS as well.

Tranny might be shifting later if it thinks you are stepping on the gas pedal more than you are (bad TPS). The computer wouldn't know the difference, which might explain the lack of codes.

2200+ rpm in gear almost has to be throttle related. How are the fuel trims?
I think the IAC can make 2200 if full open. When mine start the rpm goes to 1900 for a fraction before falling back to 1200 then on to normal idle. If it can make that on cold engine, it could easily make 2200 warm.

I had a '91 that would suddenly go to abut that from time to time. Had to shut off to get it back. Under warrenty. Dealer replaced TPS and it was fine. Default with no signal it max rpm.

-chart-

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm thinking everything's pointing to the TPS. it might test good, but it could be just a sneeze out of tolerance, not enough for an ohm meter to catch..
$35-$50 to find out..
I'm surprised the dealership didn't put a TPS in to see if it fixed the problem. years ago they'd parts swap to see what if it fixed something.. guess not so much at the dealer you went to?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts