Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to wonder if my 2003 Taurus wasn't actually a boat in it's previous life because of all the water leaks that keep popping up. It was bad enough trying to locate the leak in the front passenger floor. Now that I've got that problem fixed.... it's the trunk!.

This morning I had to remove the spare tire jack from the trunk. I noticed there was moisture on top of the spare tire (this would be where the wood/carpet floor board would sit on top of.

When I removed the tire and jack from the trunk I noticed that the cloth padding on the floor pan was slightly damp. There's a rubber plug in the very bottom of the floor pan that is about 3 inches in length. It was also damp. I pulled it back and noticed some water underneith. So I dried it all up and sealed it using silicone.

On the top half of the floor pan (driver side) is another plug (small one) with a wire going through it (probably for the rear tail lights). There was a trace of water sitting in the plug.

Are these cars known for leaks in the trunk and if so... where does it come in from?.

The part I'm confused about is how would the water find it's way on top of the spare tire?. There's a wooden board with the carpet that sits on top. Nothing has been spilled in that trunk. The carpet is dry and so is the board. Could it be moisture that has evaporated from the damp padding that was on the floor pan?.

Even if the water was coming in from that rubber plug on the very bottom of the floor pan.... it doesn't explain how the water would find it's way into the smaller plug which is located higher up.

I need some advice on this. I'll take pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Get into the trunk with a flashlight and have a trusted soul hose rear area down with a hose. Or, if not so trusting, be sure to have fold-down rear seats, lol. Dont have wife/husband assist after a recent argument.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Get into the trunk with a flashlight and have a trusted soul hose rear area down with a hose. Or, if not so trusting, be sure to have fold-down rear seats, lol. Dont have wife/husband assist after a recent argument.
I lol'd :p:D:lol2: sheila!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning I held the hose over the trunk lid and gave it a good soak. I "think" I may have located the source of this leak but still need to conduct a few more tests before I can say it's fixed.

There's a significant amount of water coming in and I'm a bit puzzled because when I pulled the plastic cover off (where trunk latch is located) I could not find any trail of water. Weatherstripping appears to be ok.

The only spot that I could find any water was around the small gasket with the screw & nut that holds the rear tail-light to the body. If you pull the material away from the rear tail light you'll see exactly what I'm talking about (I've attached a picture). It was wet underneith and I did see a drop of water coming from it. I've put silicone around it and will try again tomorrow to see if it still leaks. I just have a difficult time believing that so much water could come in from there within the 1-2 minutes I spayed it down with the hose.

While I had the trunk pulled apart.... I noticed that there's another rubber plug hidden below the tail light. It's hard to see from inside the trunk. If you look underneith on the driver side, there's a plug located just to the upper right of the muffler. This was also popped out so I filled it in as well with silicone.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Actually, that's not a bad idea. Only problem is that I'm 6'2" and 275lbs. I think I'll have to try option #2 and fold down the rear seats :D

I'll give this a try tomorrow. You'll see from my pictures that it appears to be coming in from the nut&bolt that holds the rear tail light.

I should point out that the pictures were taken today and not 2006 as it shows (haven't adjusted my camera date yet).

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
^ I was serious about that leak detection method. Many on here have done just that to pinpoint pesky trunk leaks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^ I was serious about that leak detection method. Many on here have done just that to pinpoint pesky trunk leaks.

It's a good idea and I will give it a try if this continues.

I gave the trunk lid and rear tail lights another soaking today. The silicone has had time to cure overnight. I also re-sealed the weatherstripping and made sure it was down tight. I'm pleased to report that there's no water coming in. I also went through a car wash and checked for leaks afterwards. The trunk was dry.

So...it appears that I've located and fixed this leak (fingers crossed). It just seems odd that water could come in where the nut & bolt holds the tail light assembly to the car.

When I first noticed this problem... holding the hose over the tail light would be enough for water to collect in the floor pan. It came in very easily. Now it's not coming in at all. So.... let's hope this is the end of it. The last thing I need is my floor pans to be rusting out. I went through this same problem with an old Kcar that I used to have. It leaked like crazy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts