Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was driving home today and all of a sudden my car wont shift. well more correctly it will, but it will wait til its almost at 5000 rpms before it does no matter how hard you push the gas. so i can have the engine screaming but be going 25 mph, and hardly excellerating at all. the wierd part is, not only will it take forever to shift, but the tone of sound the engine makes has changed and i dont kno why. I just had the cats replaced a month ago so they better not be clogged. any one have any ideas? by the way, the car was running great before this

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
No check engine / service engine soon light? If so, get the codes read.

If your speedometer (or tachometer, can't remember which) is going wonky as well, it might be your VSS (vehicle speed sensor). But, if the VSS goes, usually there's a check engine light.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the trans fluid is fine. the check engine light is on but its one of those deals where its perpetually on. even when i got is back from the shop a month ago it was on.

after driving it more i dont think its the transmission. it seems to have no power. it can barely make it p hills and its acceleration is horrid to say the least. 0-60 in like 20 seconds bad, thats if you can get it to 60.im not sure why it would lose so much power. the spark plugs are new, the coil pack is new, that cats are new. i put in some fuel injector cleaner a few days ago. i just dont know

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
QUOTE (fuman80 @ Mar 30 2009, 06:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713778
well the trans fluid is fine. the check engine light is on but its one of those deals where its perpetually on. even when i got is back from the shop a month ago it was on.

after driving it more i dont think its the transmission. it seems to have no power. it can barely make it p hills and its acceleration is horrid to say the least. 0-60 in like 20 seconds bad, thats if you can get it to 60.im not sure why it would lose so much power. the spark plugs are new, the coil pack is new, that cats are new. i put in some fuel injector cleaner a few days ago. i just dont know[/b]
Why not consider running this puppy by your favorite autoparts store for a no cost computer trouble code scan, then post ALL the code Numbers found, Before you buy anything.

I'd not drive it any more, or any faster than absolutely necessary, until you find out whats wrong & put it right.

Ignoring the CEL isn't a wise thing for us to do!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i got it looked at and it turns out it was a clogged cat. convertor. i dont know how it was, considering i just replaced them. anyway, the shop said because the clogged one was coming of the exhaust manifold, it would require replacing both the cats and the y pipe. they said it would be around $1,200. i dont have that kind of money for a car with 180,000 miles. im here to ask some opinions on what to do. most of my fellow car enthusiasts say to cut it off because here in ohio we dont have emissions checks and it cheap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts